Classical Gas by Mark

mark

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:04 am

Lavallee wrote:
Nice playing Mark, it is slightly different (mainly the intro) than Neil's but it gives a similar result. I would just like to bring a point on the transition to get to the main riff at 1:02 . Maybe it is an accident but you seem to do a pull off that breaks the rhythm a bit. Also at 1:46 on the other transition, you do all the chords and picking fine, I would suggest to put more emphasis (pinch louder) on each of the 4 chords. I find this is the toughest part of the song, but you make it sound quite fluid.

Great work

Marc
Hi Marc
Thanks for you comments. These are exactly the type of comments that are really usefull.

The intro. I actually played this completly wrong and started to go into a bit which should come later in the song. I thought I hide it quite well but your eagle eyes were on to it. Normally what I play is closer to what Neil plays.

At 1.02.Yeah I made a mistake here. this is one of my favorite places to make a mistake at. This is one of the parts I need to work on. Even when I play it without a mistake the feel of it isn't quite right.

At 1.46. I kind of just fudged my way through this bit and the chords didn't come out very cleanly. Normally I can get this bit a bit better but it depends on how quickly I am trying to play it.

I find that if I try and play this song too quickly it gets really messy really quickly.

schm040

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:26 am

I thought you nailed those tough barre changes at the end of section B great, there is some tough timing there.

It is also nice to see someone posting the tougher pieces.

Thank you.

Matt

stratman3

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:32 am

Excellent....nicely done. I tried this song, but got discouraged, now I may give it another try.

I am imspired to give it another shot, thanks for sharing.

Gary B)

BobR

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 am

Mark,

I can't offer any technical advice, I just wanted to say I thought you did a fantastic job. I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

Great job and way to stick to it.

Bob

tovo

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:53 am

I'm not going to venture any advice on that one Mark. i look forward to the review. Thanks for sharing and great work to date.

BigBear

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:08 pm

Fantastic Mark! Other than a few timing issues almost perfect. But your timing and fluidity got better as you progressed through the song.

I've worked on this song a little but not nearly enough to offer you any suggestions. Yoda aka Neil may be the only one who can really offer you anything useful.

Thanks for sharing another of your great videos! I really look forward to what you post next!

Cheers! :cheer:

suziko

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:00 am

Mark,

This song is far beyond my skill at the moment so I can't offer any helpful advice. Anything I noticed (muted notes or timing issues) Im sure you are very aware of, and those things will drop out as you practice it more. So, I'll just say "Well done!" because you did do a good job on an incredibly hard, though beautiful, song.

Suzi

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Very Nice Mark!

I agree with the comments above, but think it is worth stating that your playing is always quite solid. You have taken on some interesting and tough pieces since TG started. You always do them justice. Kudos to you and your hard work. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

J

waggis

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Great job Mark! Always nice to see your posts. This song is one of my favorites which I have learned bit by bit from differnt sources over the years, so it is no surprise that you play a hybid Neil version.

David

michelew

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:50 am

Mark,

You've made amazing progress on a huge piece. The hard work you've put in to date is obvious.

I love seeing these works in progress, especially for hard songs. It not only inspires me, but as a few others have said gives us perspective on the sort of time you need to commit to a song like Classical Gas to really get on top of it.

Thanks for the peek.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic