tvarga learning Heard it Through the Grapevine guitar lesson

tvarga

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:18 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

A few months ago, somebody recommended 'Heard it Through the Grapevine' for a lesson. I absolutely loved the way Max plays that song and wanted to learn it right away. So I contacted Max Milligan about it. He was kind enough to send me the tab for his arrangement. I've spent a lot of time watching his video in slow motion to try and learn how he does it. It wasn't easy, but I can sort-of play it now. Here's the video of my best attempt of it so far. Max told me that it would be OK for me to pass on the tab, so if anyone is interested in it, let me know.

I've uploaded the tabs and video for 'Heard it Through the Grapevine' as well as three other songs from Max. Please find them at:

public.me.com/tvarga

You can download them all at once by double-clicking on the 'Totally Guitars' folder or simply open the folder and download any of the individual files.

-Tom

P.S. This is how it's supposed to be played!

Yamaha48

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Hello Tom.

This tune is above my playing level.
A very nice tune to learn,you make a very good start.
Thumb up fore you my friend,
Thanks for sharing your nice video.

greetz.......... Anton

Craig

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:08 pm

Tom,
Great effort on a difficult piece. There is a lot of stuff going on in this arrangement. This is way over my head, but it looks like you have all the basic parts down. Good job and thanks for sharing.
Craig

Lavallee

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Tom , this is a cool song and it looks challenging (your hand is sometimes moving faster than the camera frame rate). You are doing a great job on it. Since you offered, I would be happy to have the tabs. If you have it in GP file it is great , but I will take any format you can send.

Thanks

Marc

sbutler

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Well I'm impressed, this is nót an easy arrangement to play! I can see from your handmovements that you've really practised this, keep it up, beware on your timing and you're well on you way!

Thanks for sharing and yes I'd also like the tabs, if you would [email protected]

Much appreciated,

Cheers

Vanessa

BobR

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Tom,

Your hands are getting quite a workout :cheer: . Overall I think you're doing a really good job on this. Keep at it.

Thanks for posting,
Bob

tvarga

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 pm

So, does TotallyGuitars have a place where tabs can be uploaded? If not, this would be a very useful feature to enable TG folks to share tabs and other files.

For now, I've uploaded the tabs and video for 'Heard it Through the Grapevine' as well as three other songs from Max. Please find them at:

https://public.me.com/tvarga

You can download them all at once by double-clicking on the 'Totally Guitars' folder or simply open the folder and download any of the individual files.

Enjoy!

-Tom

Lavallee

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Hey Tom , got the tabs, thanks. What is the tuning? Drop D?

Marc

tvarga

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:19 am

Yes, it is drop D. Sorry, I should've mentioned that because it took me a bit to figure that out since it's not mentioned on the tab.

lueders

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:34 am

Holy cow! That is one cool arrangement. Makes CCR's take on the tune look really rudimentary. Really enjoyed that. Thanks! THANKS FOR THE TAB LINKS MIGHT TRY TO GIVE THAT A SHOT SOMEDAY.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic