suziko Alice's Restaurant guitar lesson review upload

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

I started working on this song soon after Neil posted the lesson. I have no plans to ever do this as a singing piece, but as a purely instrumental little tune, it was great fun to learn. It's something I'll be refining for a long time.

I started off learning the basic version, and once I had that down fairly well I moved onto the "concert" version. This upload is an amalgam of the two. I had a really hard time varying the bass on the C chord (between C and G), so I skipped that. I also stuck with the D7/F# that is in the basic version, instead of re-learning it as D7 (b 5)/F# as it is in the concert version.

Played on my Martin 00-28VS

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Suzi

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

NKenny

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Very nice Suzi, sounds good

Have a great day Kenny

NKenny

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Very nice Suzi, sounds good. I don't know how I got two up here. Guess you were twice as good

Have a great day Kenny

dennisg

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:26 pm

I freakin' love this! Without a doubt, this looks like the toughest thing I've ever seen you play, next to Here Comes the Sun. Congrats on a really great job and for taking the next step in your playing. I'm really happy for you.

I think when you get a bit more comfortable with it, you'll eliminate some of the staccato-ness that crops up every now and then in places where it might benefit from being smoothed out.

Still, this is really an enjoyable and impressive effort.

tovo

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Very nice Suzi, I agree entirely with Den, the toughest piece I have seen you do and the most comfortable I have seen you doing it. I could see your head moving to the timing of the piece and you looked to be enjoying it. You have worked a long time on it and it shows in the ease with which you played. I suspect you will say you weren't relaxed, but you looked to be.

I so enjoyed seeing a video from you again.

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Kenny- Thanks for your comment (both of them!). It's always nice to hear words of encouragment.

Den- Thanks! I know you were hoping for the 20 minute singing version, but I decided to pare it down a bit! :) This was probably the hardest song I've done so far (though Ivory Salamander was also tough for me), but I really enjoyed learning it. I've always loved the sound of ragtime pieces. There's a lot of refining I could make on this song over time, I know, and making my notes less staccato is definitely one I'll be working on.

Tony- I'm glad you liked this. you're right- I WAS NOT comfortable or relaxed filming this, but I'm glad it doesn't show as much as I worried it would. I'm also glad to post a new video. I was hoping to have this up in time for Thanksgiving, but that just wasn't going to happen.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:30 pm

That was really really nice Suzi!

I have to agree with Tony, you seemed calmer, much more comfortable, and I'm sure that that's not really the case (we all have trouble doing that I guess), but to let it look like you were is already a big achievement. And your timing was fysically apparent, wich shows that you're really into the song and it's not a very easy song as well..I also really liked your handmovements!

Anyways, very good job Suzi!

Great to see you smile at the end!

Greetz'

Vanessa

willem

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi Suzi,,that was nice,,i love ragtime and you did it all,,the C/slide up ,,the nice sounding transition walk up,,even i heard the quick A/FLAT/SLIDE,,all by all i enjoyed your upload and a bit envious by your alternating bass fingerpickin,,i see and hear your very progressed and comfort with it ,,well you sat down and began to play the whole thing,,thanks for sharing and remember me this is on target,,its a great fingerpicking/piece..

ps i'm not so familair with american's folk songs and what they mean,but i know there is a lot of culture they brought over the world,,of course i heard a lot but maybe i can place them now....oh yeah and i'm gald to know your a rock chick tooo..i'm only a elf,,, B) :laugh:

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Vanessa- Thanks so much for your kind words. I agree that working on looking comfortable while performing is just one more thing to learn as a guitarist. You seem to have mastered that long ago, as you are a very compelling and very comfortable-looking peformer! You're definitely someone who I would use as an example of what I'd like to strive for in that regard.

Willem- Thank you! Ragtime pieces are great, I agree. I was really excited when Neil posted the lesson on this one. It was a challenge for me, but also lots of fun to play.

reiver

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Suzi - I think that this is a really great post from you. The steady improvement you've made in your playing over the past year has been evident in your posts in the past - but with this you seem to have stepped up to a new level. You must be very proud of your playing here. And to have learned this piece in the few weeks since it was posted is a great achievement, I think. It's not a song that I'm all that familiar with so I certainly can't offer any advice on how to play it - and probably, when you listen back, you hear some little imperfections that grate a little - but to a layman like me it sounds great. Technical things like increasing sustain on some notes and varying volume and attack on others are things that I'm sure you'll cotinue to work on as you further to refine this piece, but I think you've set a very good foundation for that work. You should be congratulated!

You also seem to have just nominated yourself very strongly for the end of year "Most Improved Player" award.

Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic