suziko Alice's Restaurant guitar lesson review upload

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Bob- Thank you. Yes, it's been over 2 months since I posted anything. When I first joined TG, my goal was to post 1 video/month, but that's just gotten to be too aggressive for me. So I just post when I feel like something is at a decent stage, and when it hopefully demonstrates something new that I've learned. I'm glad you liked it!

Craig- Thank you! The slides add a lot to the song. I would have liked to have nailed the slides into the C chord better, but what can you do?

cosmicmechanic

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi Suzy, great video, I appreciated this song since way back, at first hearing(s) especially loved your sliiides ...
I remember you posted a video playing in classical position (guitar on left leg), have you decided to definitely adopt resting the guitar on the right side instead ?

Pierre

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Salut, Marc! You jumped in while I was responding. Merci beaucoups! You are always so supportive and encouraging, and you are definitely one of the guitarists on the site I admire most. I am glad you thought I gave the song some "soul." It was something I hoped to convey, because it's such a fun song to play and listen to! But sometimes, especially for a novice player, it's hard to let go of the preoccupation with what your fingers are doing and really feel the song.

I was actually really inspired by something that Tommy Emmanuel said in one of the videos posted here on TG, where he said that he'll sometimes play a song for an hour or so, so that his fingers know what to do and he can stop worrying about that and start trying to feel the music. I'm nowhere near there yet, but it's the direction I hope to head in.

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Pierre- Thanks- it is a really fun song!

I still play with the guitar on my left leg. I switched to that position about a year ago, and now it's a habit I'm having a hard time breaking! Not that it's necessarily a bad habit, but there are times I'd like to play on my right leg, but it feels so awkward for me now. I think the answer is just to do it and push through the awkwardness, but it's hard to find the desire to do that. The same goes for learning to play in a standing position.

jayswett

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:05 pm

You made that look really, really easy. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. It's so enjoyable seeing TG students demonstrate such improvement over the course of a year. You are a prime example, as are many others. Congratulations.

wammer

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Great job Suzi. You really do look very comfortable. You seemed to be having fun and that is a really big step forward in playing, after all thats why we do it ...

Tammy

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks, Jay! I always appreciate your kind words and encouragment for my playing. And I agree with you: one of the most fun things about being a TG member is watching other people grow as guitarists. It's very exciting and very inspiring. I've learned so much from many of my fellow Target members.

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks, Tammy! I think it was my short-lived fling as lead singer of a metal band that made me more comfortable performing! :)

MarkM

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Suzi,

You just blew me away with this performance. It was utterly fantastic!!!! I can't believe it took me so long to watch this. You are amazing. I'm just in awe watching your fingers dance all over the place on this song. I hope to get there someday and now have this great song and performance to inspire me. Great job!! Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Mark,

You crack me up. Considering it sometimes takes me days (or more!) to respond to people's videos, I am not going to give you a hard time for taking "so long" to watch this, since it's only been up for a few hours :)

Thanks for your comment. I have to admit I really love this type of song, where your left hand has to move around a lot on the fret board. I find it really fun to play, and since I'm not a great singer, I enjoy practicing songs that work well as solo pieces.

I just finished watching YOUR fingerpicking video (the John Lennon song) and I think you're well on your way to quickly surpassing me in fingerpicking skill.

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic