MarkM learning Look at Me guitar lesson

pbraun

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:04 am

Mark, that was great, another tribute to a legend of music. Hard to imagine we have missed 30 years of his talent. What a great example of Johns work, you did a great job!
Pete

MarkM

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 am

Thank you for the responses everyone.

Suzi- Thank you. I'm not sure how I'm getting those bass notes to ring out. Its something that I've always tried to produce whether strumming or now fingerpicking. You can hid alot of mistakes if the bass note is ringing out. :laugh: :blush:

Bill - Thank you. Yeah it's amazing what one can find here on TG. I've been introdued to many a new song here.

Scott - Thanks. E, F, G, A, B, C, D, E and don't forget the half steps between B and C and E and F............. :) :) :)

Tony - Thank you!! As far as the session with Neil, I can honestly say that the fretboard was the last thing I thought we woud be working on. I'm glad we did as I think I finally get how it is all laid out. Now I'm ready for the test. Regarding Lennon's musice, you can never say that it isn't interesting regardless if you like that particular song or not. It is all pretty honest as far as I can tell.

Marc- Thank you. You are correct in that Bm. Strumming it proves much easier than picking it. When I was plaything this I was more focused on getting all my fingers down so the 4th - 1st strings would be clear even if I didn't nail the 5th for the bass. It needs to be cleaned up a bit for sure. It would do me no good to nail the bass note and then muff the rest of the chord. More practice is what I need. You are right that there is some form of a slide in this song when the D7 comes around. I just couldnt' figure it out as I couldn't find the TAB.

Damian - Thanks!! Yeah this song isn't one of the most popular ones he's done. That first album is pretty good though. I don't think the radio stations of the day grabbed on to this one though.

Willem - Thank you!! As I said earlier I did not expect a lesson on fretboard layout. I'm glad we did though. I always need more work on theory that is for sure.......

Anton - good to hear from you. Thank you!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Mark - Thanks. HA you may want to check your speakers if you were confused with me playing with the song :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . I agree in that it is a great album. Ah C7 slide up to the D7. Where were you two days ago???? Thanks. I couldn't figure it out so I guess my fretboard lessons are still a work in progress. He can't be playing the whole chord there though. I'll have to listen to it again. Thanks for the tip.

MarkM

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:22 am

Pete,

Thank you!! 30 years doesn't seem so long ago does it???? I remember it like it was yesterday. I saw the announcement on Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell told us. The next day in school (I was in 4th grade) was just so quite. All the teaching went out the window and we mostly talked about the Beatles or Lennon with the teachers. What could have been huh..............

MarkM

pbraun

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:31 am

I heard it from Howard Cosell as well,but not while in 4th grade-ouch! A friend of mine and I were talking about it yesterday and we both clearly remember it so well. I know for me I had just bought Double Fantasy, and I listened to it none stop for weeks after, got out all the other LPs both solos and Beatles. What a loss. And then to lose George, not sure which hit me harder. One was tragic the other made me realize that we are all mortal, regardless of who we are.
Pete

juanlla

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:45 am

Mark,
Thanks for posting this, I was not familiar with this song. Your finger-picking style is awesome. Sound is great, smooth & Calm
another one to the "bucket list"

thanks again,
Juan

BobR

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Mark,

I hadn't heard this before but thought you did a really nice job especially after listening to the John Lennon version you included. Vocals sounded so close too, it was hard to tell if it was John or Mark.

Great job
Bob

tovo

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Good work Mark, you got the travispicking in your fingers alright!

One little thing, you're rushing, slow it down a bit.....

Neil says, when you're trying to play and sing at the same time, try to hum it first, not worrying about the lyrics at all, I think that's a very good suggestion, cause I think your voice suited the song very well!

Greetz'

Vanessa

jayswett

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Seems like an appropriate song for today. Hard to believe it's been thirty years. As usual, you played this very well. You have made alot of progress with your fingerpicking technique. Keep it up and you won't want to spend much time with a pick in your right hand. You got me hooked on Goodbye Blue Sky, and I've been strugling a bit with it. I will keep working on it.

MarkM

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Juan - Thank you for the compliments. I'm slowly getting used to fingerpicking but I have a LONG way to go.

Bob - Thanks Bob. I think you may need better speakers to tell the difference in voices. I have a cold so maybe that improved my usually very crappy vocals.

Vanessa - Thanks. Yup I was a tad fast on this one. It's a problem I have from time to time. I had to slow it down just to get to this speed. I need more practice......

Jay - thank you. Slow progress but progress nonetheless right. I do enjoy the fingerpicking quite a bit but deep down I love my pick as well. Now I try and learn one picking and one strummer at the same time so I continue to improve with the pick as well.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Hey Mark,

I don't know the song- but I think you kind of sounded like John in your version.
Well done. And you can definitely see progress in your fingerpicking.

I'm looking forward to seeing your lesson with Neil when I get a spare minute...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic