MarkM learning Look at Me guitar lesson

MarkM

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:21 pm

I've been listening to alot of John Lennon's solo stuff lately and forgot about how much I really enjoyed this. I came across "Look at Me" from his first solo effort John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. I believe it was released in 1970. Anyway there are clips of him playing this song in various different ways. Strumming and fingergerpicking. Since I've been trying to get better at fingerpicking I figured that I would give this one a go. It's still a work in progress as I'm not very good at this yet. Also I added to vocals afterward (as if you couldn't tell). I'm nowhere near singing and picking at the same time yet. I double tracked the vocals to try and get the same effect he has on his recording. Below is the version that I was going after. As always I thank you in advace for your comments and suggestions. Oh and my apologies for getting the mic in the way of my picking hand.

MarkM

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

suziko

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Nice job, Mark! This isn't a song I knew before, but I liked your version. I think you're making good progress with your fingerpicking. You've got a nice, steady rhythm going and I like how your getting good volume out of your bass notes (I tend to not hit mine nearly loudly enough). Really liked the sound of the bass runs in this song especially.

Suzi

haoli25

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Bravo, Mark! Like Suzi, I was not familiar with this Lennon song, but I really liked it. Just another jewel I have discovered on TG. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

sbutler

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Hey Mark,

Looks like all that fret board memorization has paid off eh?

Really nice, smooth job. Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Scott

tovo

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:55 pm

Mark I really enjoyed that as I do pretty much everything you post. I was going to write to you but I may as well take the opportunity to say publicly how much I enjoyed your session with Neil. I know how it can feel to be under pressure to produce an answer from a teacher as many of us would, but even worse with a camera in your face. You did a great job of that, and also of this Lennon tune. We share a love of his music.

Well done mate.

Lavallee

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Goog playing Mark, you look quite comfortable with your finger picking now. Good steady rhythm. If anything I would pay attention to the Bm which the bass gets muted every now and then.
Also the song seems to indicate a slide at one point, no big deal though.
Marc

d_dog

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:40 am

Fantastic Mark! I really like that song, I'd never heard it before. Your finger picking is wonderful, and you really nailed that sound on the vocal part. Great job all around man, you really come up with some unique songs. Great for you to go out on a limb like this and push the envelope.

willem

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 am

Hi Mark,,your first fingerpicking song and you did well,,and now you can chooce so many more songs,maybe a slow ballad ,its so nice to have all kind of skills under the strings,,i never heard or remember the song but listen to the orginal and you did a fine job.

I also watched the fly on the wall vid and man did you expect that yourself ,,much respect and remembered us to work on the theory or selfs..

goodluck..

Yamaha48

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:22 am

Hello my friend MarkM.

Good to see your finger picking,in this song.
And sounds realy good.
The good old days.
Thanks for sharing Mark.

Greetz............. Anton

mark

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:26 am

I thought this was really good.

I actually thought you were playing along to the record to start with. Proves that the vocals were spot on.

I've always liked this song and it is from one of my favorite albums

As Marc said it sounds like there should be a chord sliding up at one point.
It looks like you are playing a D7 at this point.
Maybe try sliding a normal C7 chord up 2 frets and maybe that will be the chord he is playing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic