tovo Hey there Delilah guitar lesson review upload

wammer

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Tony

Nice to see a video from you again. I've always wanted to playthis song and now you have raised my attention again.

Great job .....you do look pretty comfortable.

Tammy

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Hey Tony great job and good choice of song! The picking was very steady and the singing was fine... Chas mentioned the capo which will free you up big time on this I think. Happy Monday!

tovo

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Tammy - thanks. It's a cool little tune with a real good story behind it. The singer from the PWTs (Tom) met a girl named Delilah who asked what he did. He told her he was in a band and flirtatiously told her that he has written a song for her. So then he had to do it. They were never an item but she got a bit of publicity being the woman behind the tune.

Chris - Yeah I will definitely give the capo a try. I feel I have the tune down well enough to sing although I made some errors in the video, so I would like to try for a better overall performance. Cheers mate. (Monday SUCKS by the way! :) )

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Hey Tony!

I really like that song-- I used to know it, but I think I used different fingerings. Need to re-learn it.

Your tempo and picking was solid. You might want to bend your wrist a bit more and pick the strings with more of your nails as opposed to the pads of your fingers. Something I need to be reminded of all the time.

anyways, nice to see another upload from you!

sws626

Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi Tony,

Nice job! I wasn't familiar with the song, but really enjoyed it -- once I drove "Last Train to Clarksville" out of my head. Your timing was great and I loved your voice, as always. I'm sure if you play around with a capo, you'll find the key your most comfortable with. One small suggestion: the recording seems to have picked up the bass notes a lot more clearly than the treble -- maybe to do with mic placement. Thanks for introducing me to this song.

-Stuart

dennisg

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:01 pm

I thought it was darn near perfect -- great job, Tony.

tovo

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:57 pm

Al - Thanks. I learned the tune from the guy who wrote the song. Some time ago before I discovered TG I bought a video from a site I won't mention and finally got around to learning it. The fingerings are what he teaches. I missed my fingerings in the first part of the bridge and blew it but kept going. I hear you on using the nails but problem is I don't have any...I simply can't grow them, they break off really easy. I have actually thought of trying false ones on my picking hand!

Stuart - I think I had a problem with not letting the bass notes ring on the passing bassline. I chopped them off a bit. I will also take your point on mic placement and experiment a bit. Thanks for the comment.

Den - Thanks my friend. I think my pitch isn't all that good in this tune but I did my best on it. If I could play and sing as well as I would like to I wouldn't spend my days sitting at a desk! :) I always appreciate your support.

MarkM

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Tony it doesn't get much better than that. Great job!!!! I heard this song for the first time last year and I really took a likeing to it. You did it proud!!! Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

tovo

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks Mark. I'm just not too sure on this. I had a lot of advice on trying to capo it (which I have with no better result...it just doesn't sound right capoed). Also I had advice that the pitch was bad, and I agree that it isn't quite right, but I will keep working and perhaps do it again one day. I'm not sulking by the way, taking on the tunes I like is made possible only through TG and help from my friends so I appreciate all the helpful advice. I really appreciate your unwavering support as well Mark, thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic