rapsidy learning to play tequilla sunrise acoustic guitar

rapsidy

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:24 am

Man had some troubles uploading this all day???

you feel a bit inadequate when you try a song that is sung and played so well like this by the Eagles

I need some help with the intro strum etc.. and timing and forgive my b7 it needs a lot of work hate that chord :)

please tip away

thanks

Brad

p.s i said camp fire versions not virgins :P

haoli25

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:02 am

Great job, Brad. I really liked your performance. The way I learned to play 'Tequiila Sunrise' was to try more of a calypso beat with it. It helps with the double-strum. Also in the intro, on the G chord, try alternately moving your middle finger from the 5th string-second fret down to the 4th string-second fret (with a slight hammer-on), and then back to the 5th string again. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

Lavallee

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 am

Hi Brad , good job on the song great singing. I was working on the sultan of swing for a while and was trying to simulate the double speed strum. I could not get the speed when using the pick. So I tried strumming with my thumb only. I was able to get a a good speed because there is no tension on the wrist (the hand is not close to hold the pick). Of course the sound levrl is lower. Once I got the hang of the double speed , I started again with the pick. It could be a good exercise to play without a pick for a little while. Your pick angle does not seem to change giving a bit harder sound that it should. The pick should have a small angle with the string on the way down which angle is reverse on the way up. It seems like you pick is straight. Playing with the thumb only or the invisible pick would make the strumming a little smoother.

Marc

tovo

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:54 am

Hey Brad,

First up mate, you have a good voice, I enjoyed listening.

I think your strum is a bit heavy and I think that (as usual) Marc has put his finger on the reason. Listen to that French Canadian mate he knows what he's talking about.

The double beat in the intro is a bit of a tough one to master, just keep at it.

Nice work.

rapsidy

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:21 am

Bill- I was doing that litttle hammer thingy lol obviously not hard enough. Is it whenever the G is played ? the calypso swing have you got a song that i could listen to?

Marc- i will give that a try , i am concious that i need to angle the pick but obviously execution is lacking.

Tony- your too kind, but thanks once i start working again im going to find me a guitar teacher just to give me some structure and guidance hopefuly that may speed up the progress

willem

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 am

Hey Brad really,really great job,,i found your strumming good but can improve like others said,,and if you want to make your campfire virgins (lol) better,well listen to the orginal and try to add some stuff you hear or see,,a friend of mine is very good in adding some hammer on's and pull of's while strumming a good thing to make it a bit more then a campfire song and i think in time you wiil add all those things,,thanks,your really on the right way...

jayswett

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:20 am

Well done all around. Regarding that B-7 chord, I struggled with that as well as I was learning Hallelujah, but I managed to make progress with it by first ignoring my pinky and fretting only the 3,4, and 5th strings. Once I had that down, I added the pinky. I can now hit that chord solidly maybe 90% of the time. Just a suggestion. I really enjoyed your video.

daryl

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:38 am

Hi Brad!

You're doing just fine on the strumming during the song, as for the intro, I know what's happening in there, you play:

down down up down......up down up, it should be:

down down up down ..up up down up.

Maybe this vid' will help!

BobR

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:52 am

Brad,

It's coming along fine. I have been playing that song as well and never quite got the intro strum quite right either.

Keep it up and the B7 will get easier.

Thanks for posting
Bob

PS
Vanessa thanks for posting the little video on the strumming

Hydroman52

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Another important point in Vanessa's instruction and video is that the first "Down" is not a full strum. Watch it carefully and you'll see it. This de-clutters the the beginning and makes it much more interesting. This is a case where less is more. Good work with the video Vanessa!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic