rapsidy learning to play tequilla sunrise acoustic guitar

Chasplaya

Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Brad its coming along nicely. My band at work played this recently and a few of the guys had the exact same issue you have with the 'double beat/strum' on the second beat. Vanessa has given you the correct strum notation, but I think the third beat , where the hammer on comes, beat 3, in it is a tied sound from the 'and' of the second beat and all that you hear/play is the hammer on. You also have a tendency to rush the first of the 16th notes on beat one which doesn't help you, try taking the whole thing slower to begin with and try for smoother and purposeful. D ... D.U...D...U... (Miss strum but hammer on only which would be have been a D) U...D...U... With this strum notation to get into the groove play the D count the dots play the D count one dot play the U count three dots etc etc do this slowly to build correct rhythm before getting up to speed. Actually count out loud ( I know we sound dorky when we do that but hey!), note this is not the tempo just a routine to get the rhythm.

Once you've got that the other chords you mention having difficulty can be concentrated on separately and hey! they are just like the rest of the chords you know already they will come, just take one step at a time and practice.

With that fine voice for this song its going to sound great.

Edit PS the hammer on is done on the and of beat 2 then the 3 is left to ring not strummed, oops apologies. What Nes does technically speaking is a a G5 with that partial strum to the hammer on to G6 the quicker D.U...D...U let ring. So its a G first Down , G5 Down.Up...Down...G6 Up...miss Down let ring G Up...Down...Up...

Now you are totally confused lol.

Craig

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Good job Brad. I wouldn't have any technical advice since you already got some great advice from other members. Nice job singing. Keep up the good work!
Craig

suziko

Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:43 pm

I'll join Craig in just saying "Nice job." I liked the advice both Marc and Vanessa gave you on strumming, and I can't add anything to that. Your voice sounds really nice in this song and you've got a good, steady rhythm going throughout.

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:13 pm

I enjoyed that Brad, nice job and really well sung! B7 will become your friend with a little perseverance ;-).

TGMatt

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks for adding that, it's very true! :)

Hydroman52 wrote:
Another important point in Vanessa's instruction and video is that the first "Down" is not a full strum. Watch it carefully and you'll see it. This de-clutters the the beginning and makes it much more interesting. This is a case where less is more. Good work with the video Vanessa!

rapsidy

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks so much guys it is really encouraging to get the feedback, it makes you think gee im on the right track :)

i really really appreciate it... but i can take constructive critisim as well so please dont think you will offend if done correctly lol :laugh:

Vanessa chas, thanks for that wonderful help, i have lots of home work now :P much appreciated

Neil does good lessons but as a beginer.. i need it spelled out to me in black and white especially the strumming which you guys have taken the time to do, that is a HUGE help so thank you

oh and merry xmas everybody :woohoo: :woohoo: :silly: :silly: :silly: :blink: :side: :blush: :S

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Hey there, Brad.

Glad you got your vid issues sorted, and good to see another vid from you.

I know what you mean about the intro strumming! Tammy and I took a run at this song last time we got together. Notice I DIDNT post our version! Yours is coming along well for sure. I vote for a lighter touch on the strings as well.

Btw- thanks to Vanessa for the little vid as well. I'm sure it will help many on here (myself included).

willem

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:01 am

Thanks Al, glad to hear that it helped out and that it is appreciated!

Cheers

AcousticAl wrote:

Btw- thanks to Vanessa for the little vid as well. I'm sure it will help many on here (myself included).[/quote]

dekotaj

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:14 am

Bravo!!Brad,

Cant go wrong with and Eagles song.Guitar and vocals sound good.Look forward to your next post.

That darn old B7,It can be a pain to learn.How I learned to play it was, to make the chord,And then just pick up all my fingers off the string (with out moving my fingers out of the chord shape)and then putting them back down on the strings.And did it about a 1/2 dozen time every day till my fingers and mind got a fell for it.Good luck with it and thanks for the post.

Kevin

P.S.Marry Christmas to you and your family as well.Good luck with your job hunt.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi Brad!

Here's the video you've requested, hope it makes sense and that you (and anyone else) will be able to play it! ;) Let me know if you do!

Greetz'

Nesh

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic