tvarga Embryonic Journey guitar lesson review upload

rapsidy

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:53 am

Tom that was sweet as extremely enjoyable, you really know your fret board B)

Finger picking songs really make the guitar come alive i believe.

oh i only dream to be able to play like that :(

thanks for a great post

Brad

Chasplaya

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Bravo Tom on a level 9 , your way ahead of me on finger-picking, plus you certainly know your way round the fret-board, I'll take on your advice about not looking and try it more often.

I listened to Neil's straight after and the only difference I could hear is ...not much... maybe he's played it a few more times and adds in a few minor nuances or just a bit more feeling. Anyway well done I enjoyed that.

cosmicmechanic

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Tom, I'm happy for you and also those around you who were patient while you practiced this enough to be good at it.

Which leads to the questions:
How long have you been working at this ? Systematically over the period of time ? Letting it go for a while and then coming back to it ?

You obviously are a proficient player, was this a long term project for you, or (help !) short-term ?

Pierre

tvarga

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:26 am

Pierre, thanks for the kind words.
To be honest, I have yet to develop the skill to 'remember' how to play songs that I've previously learned. This means that I work on only one song at a time. Once Neil put the lesson up for Embryonic Journey, I knew that it would be most likely the next song that I'd 'work' on. I probably played it on average 2 hours a day, over and over for about 2 weeks. It took me nearly another week to get the jitters out of it enough to get a reasonably clean take of me playing it.
So, what works best for me has been repetition, repetition and then more repetition. Lately, I'm also working on not staring at my left hand and believe it or not, it's helped a lot. Possibly the best suggestion I can make is to make a commitment to yourself to work on a song enough to upload a video of you playing it for review. It's incredibly motivating and then rewarding when everyone watches it and gives you great feedback and recognition.
-Tom

cosmicmechanic

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:08 am

Tom, thanks for the clear and specific answer.

About estimations: I know it is hard to estimate (even after the fact) the time you took to even paint a kitchen.

It is also at least as hard to estimate how long it took to play a guitar piece.

But the numbers you put forth are very interesting: "2 hours a day, over and over for about 2 weeks".

Tell you the truth, for me, 2 hours in the morning is WAY better than 2 hours in the evening.

But anyway, you got this down in 2 weeks.

It's wonderful to exchange this way,

Pierre

tovo

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:14 am

Tom I thought I had commented on this, I have certainly watched a few times. Nothing of value from me unfortunately but I wanted to say it was so good, your skill is too rich for my blood at this stage!

Thanks for the look, I so enjoyed it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic