tvarga Embryonic Journey guitar lesson review upload

tvarga

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:49 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Learning Embryonic Journey was a lot of fun. Looking at the tab, it looks misleadingly simple. But the timing is the challenge in this song. Even how the patterns change around in the first 3 lines makes it difficult. But, that's what makes it fun too. It was quite a mental challenge getting it all right.

As usual, my fingers stiffen up when I have the camera on which makes it difficult to get a clean playthrough on video. Anyway, here's the best I could do. It definitely still needs polishing.

-Tom

Craig

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:50 pm

That was great Tom. I'm impressed. There is a lot of stuff going on in that song. Very difficult keeping steady bass notes going. Well done! ... Your guitar sounds great as well.
Craig

Lavallee

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Tom, great playing. Not sure where you see this song being misleadingly simple. I think you do a great job, and it must need a lot of work to get where you are now. I think you would benefit to amplify your guitar rather than using the camera microphone only.

Cheers

Marc

BigBear

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Tom- Outstanding!! Really well done. A very tough song indeed and you nailed it. I was especially impressed that you played the whole tune and only looked down a couple of times. I'll bet Jorma doesn't even do that well.

You make me want to take this song on and add to the enormous list of songs "in progress". But I've always loved that tune and it would be wonderful to play it anywhere near as well as you do.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on all your hard work. It really shows!

Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Nice job Tom! Is your guitar made of maple wood? Nice tone to it.

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:03 pm

Well that's a workout!

Great work on a song I'm not familiar with, Tom. I'm seeing similar fingerings to some other songs I'm playing now though.

Thanks for sharing.

Lavallee

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:28 am

Wow, Tom, level 9, that ís a big challenge!

And you're very well on your way, I was also impressed that you hardly looked at the fretboard, moving around freely is no secret to you, very very good!

Nice to see another video of you again!

Cheers

Vanessa

beaker

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:22 am

Tom, Wow! nice job! you must be quite pleased. that was really good. It looks like it must have taken a lot of effort, but it has certainly paid off. What kind of guitar do you play? Beaker.

BobR

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:41 pm

Tom,

Very nice indeed. You are doing a great job. You seem very comfortable and relaxed.

Thanks for the look.

Bob

tvarga

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and encouragement. It's one of the main things that's been motivating me to keep trying new things on the guitar.

Marc, I do actually use a microphone that's pretty close to my guitar. However, it's going right into the usb port of my mac. I do normalize the audio, but it still sounds weak.

BigBear, thanks. To be honest, I've never even heard of Jorma until Neil put up this lesson. TG has introduced me to a lot of new music and artists.

Neverfoundtheme, I don't know what the guitar is made of. I got it as a teen some 35 years ago. :) It's a 'Madeira by Guild' ... whatever that means. I've got kids starting college, so buying new toys isn't going to happen soon. Oh well.

Vanessa, I've been working hard to develop the 'trust' to not have to watch my fingers. It seems to just take a will to 'try it' a few times. It's initially disconcerting when I try it on a new section of a song, but it then surprises me how quickly my fingers just 'learn' where they have to be. I highly recommend everyone try it once in a while. You'd be surprised how quickly you can learn to do it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic