Here's what I'm giving Keith Richards for his birthday

Lavallee

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:26 pm

dennisg wrote:

Marc: It's a song that, even in its heyday, never got much radio play -- probably because it's slow and rock radio stations typically like to keep their listeners adrenalized. By the way, it never occurred to me that anyone would guess my birthday artist. Now I have to learn a Neil Diamond song. Any suggestions?

Dennis , I always loved Caroline ( a bit commercial I know) , a good strumming song

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi Dennis, I remember sitting at a friend's house in the early 70s, his room decorated in hippie chique, listening to this album.

The ceiling was covered by dark green plastic garbage bags loosely stapled to the ceiling so as to have a billowing wave effect,
and the walls were totally covered by sheets of wrinkled aluminum foil.

On top of that were many posters made especially for being seen under neon black light, the only kind of light in that room. I'll spare you the content of those posters :blink: ... and what was "Lady Jane", anyway B) (coded, hidden messages everywhere back then, kids)

All this preface to emphasize how you've salvaged this great song and given it dignity. Damn elegant.

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:28 am

Hey all, I just sent Keith Richards a personal Christmas greeting and ... here's his seasonal reply....

"Who the f*** are you?!"

...na, just kiddin' ya!

dennisg

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:59 am

Suzi: Cock-rock ... balls-to-the-wall? Does my guitar playing remind you of organ music?

Vanessa: I've always had the misfortune to remind women of either their father or their first husband. Anyway, thanks for the compliment on the flat-picking. Being a fingerpicker, I found it kind of fun to hold a pick in my hand.

Anton: I'm always happy to rekindle some memories. I hope they were good ones for you.

Marc: Sweet Caroline was a nice tune. Did you know that the song was inspired by Caroline Kennedy? That's kind of odd when you think about it, considering she was about seven years old when Neil Diamond wrote it.

Pierre: Yeah, back in the day when I had my first apartment, my entire bedroom was festooned from floor to ceiling with black-light posters. And when I wasn't reminding women of their fathers or their first husbands, I'd impress them by flipping on that switch and watching the whole room come alive. Hey, it never occurred to me that Lady Jane was a code for something sinister. Next you're going to tell me that Puff the Magic Dragon meant something! Hah! When you said that I "...salvaged this great song..." I originally read it as "savaged," which I would have been inclined to agree with. Thanks for your support.

AcousticAl

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:23 am

Dennis,

I hadn't seen this yet- I was thrown by the title. Thought it was a joke-post, so it was down on my forum list!

This is really great- I like the fact that it's clean and uncomplicated. I also admire your pick-work (can a guy say that to another guy?)

Thanks for posting.

p.s. H. liked it too!

tvarga

Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Dennis, that was really nice. You have a great voice and you sang the song very well.
Looking forward to more from you.

dennisg

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:57 am

Al: I suppose it's okay to comment on my pick work without putting yourself in too much jeopardy. I was actually less than enchanted by the vocal quality on the recording because this was my first usage of a new mic, a Shure SM58, and I discovered you have to be right on top of the thing to get good sound. Live and learn. Anyway, thanks for watching and for the support.

tvarga: Thanks, I appreciate it. And I'm looking forward to seeing a video from you.

dekotaj

Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:57 am

BRAVO!!!BRAVO!!!,

Dennis,Great performance again.Like all the music you post,can't get enough of them.All ways a surprise to see what you will play are whom you might sing with.Bravo Sir!!.Look forward to you next performance.

Kevin

jayswett

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 pm

All I will say is that I look forward to your videos and enjoy them all. I'm glad to learn that we may be enjoying a steady stream of videos from you in the coming months. As for the Jewish Elvis I immediately thought of Elvis Costello, although I have no idea if he's Jewish or not. You would sound very good singine Alison.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic