Here's what I'm giving Keith Richards for his birthday

tom18

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Dennis,
I always loved that song and you did a great job with it. Good idea, thanks for coming up with it. Happy Birthday Keith, may you enjoy many more.
Chris,
I'd love to read that book when you're done with it ;)

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:16 pm

Excellent performance Dennis really enjoyed listening to that, not familiar at all with it; so checked out it out on YT and you certainly do it justice.

Good on ya mate , pass on my best wishes to Keith next you meet

Craig

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:14 am

Great job Dennis, that was just outstanding! Your picking along with your voice were just wonderful. I saw the Stones back in the '90's and it was a terriffic show...but all I can remember is Keith! He was so charismatic, as much as I wanted to watch Mick and the others, I just kept getting drawn back to Keith. I remember thinking, man this is the epitome of a "rock star".
Thanks for sharing.
Craig

michelew

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:43 am

Dennis,

Well that's another beautiful song I've never heard before. I think my mum fell in the Beatles camp.

I find myself without adequate words to do justice to your wonderful performance yet again.

Your playing didn't sound simple. It was deliciously full of lovely sustained notes from that gorgeous sounding, bell-like Taylor of yours. Your singing was wonderful as it always is. And I wish I had a smidgeon of your showmanship.

I completely agree with Tony. You highly praise everyone around you and downrate your own performance. Stop knockin' my mate. He's the bees knees when it comes to all round knock 'em dead, keep them mesmerised showmanship.

Thanks for the intro to another lovely song. You NEVER fail to deliver an interesting and thoroughly enjoyable show.

I LOVED it. But, then I always do.

Michele

sws626

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:52 am

Hi Dennis,
What a great performance. You've really captured that classic Stones sound and spirit of the 'Aftermath' album. From Suzi's comment, it seems this crisp side of the band has been overshadowed by their later work. But it's the dominant sound in songs like Under My Thumb, Mother's Little Helper, Paint It Black, Out of Time, and reemerges later (with some of the edge lost, in my opinion) in songs like Angie. What a nice birthday present.
-Stuart

Lavallee

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:04 am

dennisg wrote:
[

Stuart: Thanks so much, Stuart. I always appreciate your supportive comments. Glad you like the birthday motif, because I've got something in mind for a January birthday. (Hint: he was known as the Jewish Elvis Presley.)[/quote]

A Neil Diamond song? Looking forward to that

Marc

dennisg

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 am

Bob: Thanks for your support. And you never know, Keith Richards might be a TG member. We could be hearing yet another version of Blackbird any day now.

Marc: It's a song that, even in its heyday, never got much radio play -- probably because it's slow and rock radio stations typically like to keep their listeners adrenalized. By the way, it never occurred to me that anyone would guess my birthday artist. Now I have to learn a Neil Diamond song. Any suggestions?

Tom: People can treat these birthday threads like busking threads if they want. Everyone should feel free to post a Keith Richards/Stones song.

Chas: You never heard Lady Jane? What were you doing in Scotland all those years?

Craig: Even though I was never a huge Stones fan, I have to admit that they're great in concert. I saw them at Anaheim Stadium in the '70s, and Mick was at his school-marm-finger-wagging best. Thanks for your kind words and support.
I think my mum fell in the Beatles camp.
Michele: That would probably explain how she became impregnated with you. (insert rim-shot here) Michele, as always, thank you for your kind and generous support. Your comments, as well as your videos, inspire me. I have to admit that I'm mystified by your observation of my "showmanship." I honestly haven't got a clue what it is I'm doing, other than trying to suppress an urge to vomit.

Stuart: You definitely sound like a guy who's got a handle on his Stones -- if you don't mind me phrasing it that way. I absolutely loved the songs you mentioned. Thanks for watching the video.

suziko

Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm

But it's the dominant sound in songs like Under My Thumb, Mother's Little Helper, Paint It Black, Out of Time, and reemerges later (with some of the edge lost, in my opinion) in songs like Angie

Stuart- all of which are amongst my favorite Stones songs. As I said, I do rather like the swaggering, balls-to-the-wall sound that they have in their later stuff, but I think I prefer the sound of these earlier songs. And I'd forgotten how much I like Lady Jane until I heard Dennis play it.

TGMatt

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Wauw Dennis, way to go!

You're right, it surely does bring back memories, they're different than yours though...My father, who almost has the same age as you, was a Stones-fan, so he used to play and sing their songs quite often, I was more into the Beatles and Elvis, but I always loved hearing him play and sing...watching you brought it all back again...

You've played it very well, I particularly liked your right hand with a pick, I don't find fingerstyle with a pick that easy, but you did it flawless!

As for you singing, it suited the song just perfectly, very warm and smooth!

Thanks for sharing and very nice to see you again!

Cheers

Vanessa

Yamaha48

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Hello my friend Dennis.

Lady Jane from the good old days.
You play it and sing it very good.
I can dream a way.
Thanks for sharing and i wish you a Merry Christmas.

Anton

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic