Here's what I'm giving Keith Richards for his birthday

dennisg

Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:25 pm

I happened to notice that it was Keith Richards' 67th birthday, and I thought I'd send him a little thank-you for all the great music he's given us over the years. Mick Jagger tends to get all the credit for what the Stones do, but Keith co-wrote most of the songs and came up with some of the most memorable and recognizable guitar riffs in the history of rock. Yeah, he's had a tough life. Overcome a lot. And deserves some props for his accomplishments.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving through Seattle, and Lady Jane came on the radio. It's a song I haven't heard in a couple of decades, but hearing it took me right back to the night I saw the Stones perform this song on the Ed Sullivan Show. At the time, I was struck by Keith Richards' melodic guitar and Brian Jones' beautiful dulcimer on this peculiar ode to the Elizabethan era.

As you'll see, it's an extremely easy song to play, but I thought it might bring back some memories to you old hippies out there, assuming you weren't too wasted at the time to actually form memories.

Anyway, it's my plan to keep track of the birthdays of some of my favorite rock personalities and gift them with an upload of one of their own songs -- assuming that what I do qualifies as a gift.

An apology for my abysmal framing of this video that placed the mic stand directly in front of my fretting hand. Really, that was silly of me.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Great post Dennis,,way to go,,

AS to Keith,, ''happy birthday,,i love all your playing,,most of all ''ANGIE'' thats the one i try to play and not to sing has Mick..my gift would be ...well what are your wishes????

tovo

Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Happy Birthday Keith indeed. Man the word that came to mind for me was "class". Dennis your performances have class written all over them. You are very generous with your praise of others performances and also self deprecating but honestly, I aspire to play as cleanly and beautifully as you do.

Bravo my friend. As you say: "I freakin loved it".

MarkM

Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Dennis,

THAT could have been on Ed Sullivan!! I must say that your guitar and voice have never sounded better. To be honest I was somewhat mesmerised by this performance. It was that good!!! I'm so happy to see another video by you. You say this was a simple song and to some extent you may be right but you played this so well that to my ears there was so much audio complexity coming at me. It was just fantastic Dennis. Thanks for sharing it. And to top it off...look at you with that pick and hammerons!!!! Nice touch.

MarkM

suziko

Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Dennis,

This is a sweet song that seems so "un-Rolling Stones-ish" to me. Not at all what most you think of when you think of the Stones and their typical bombastic cock-rock (which, don't get me wrong, I rather like!).

I like seeing you using a pick, which is relatively new for you. And I REALLY like to see that you're anchoring with your pinky less and less. Yes, your pinky is kind of brushing the guitar, but it's not anchored down the way it has been in the past. That is great, Dennis, and I know that's something that you've really been working to stop doing. I'm proud of you!

Really nicely done, Dennis. I very much enjoyed listening to you do this song!

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Nice one Dennis. A real sixties sound played and sung just right. Nice job! great to see you post again.
I was just shopping down town and was holding Keith Richard's book in my hand wondering if anyone would be giving it to me this Christmas.... if not then I'll be getting it for my self :-) ... looks like great reading. Apparently Keith and Brian call Mick Brenda... juicy reading!

reiver

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Great performance Dennis. Very clean playing and singing well up to your usual standard.

I like the birthday motif........looking forward to the next one.

Stuart

dennisg

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Willem: Thank you, my friend. I'm a huge fan of Angie, too. It's on my list of songs to learn.

Tony: That's very, very nice of you. I definitely don't try to exude "class" or anything else when I play. I just pick quirky little songs and practice them to the point where I feel I won't piss anyone off too badly.

Mark: They used to have someone on Ed Sullivan who sang like me. I think his name was Topo Gigio. One of the interesting things about Keith Richards' playing is how much he can do with a few simple chords without making his songs too ornate. That takes talent. By the way, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and support.

Suzi: I agree with you. It's a very atypical Stones song. That's probably why I liked it so much back in the '60s when I was a Beatles fan -- and you didn't dare cross over to the Stones. Yes, using a pick is very new to me, and this is the first song I've recorded using one. also new is Neil's fingering of the G chord, which I cleverly hid behind the mic stand. I'm less inclined to anchor my pinky when using a pick. It's still a battle when I play fingerstyle songs.

Chris: Good to hear from someone who actually remembers the '60s! As I mentioned to Suzi, I wasn't really a Stones fan then, but certain songs really appealed to me: Lady Jane being one of the few. I just downloaded Keith's book to my iPad. I'm looking forward to reading it. The iPad version has photos and videos which should make it even more interesting.

Stuart: Thanks so much, Stuart. I always appreciate your supportive comments. Glad you like the birthday motif, because I've got something in mind for a January birthday. (Hint: he was known as the Jewish Elvis Presley.)

BobR

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Dennis,

That was awesome. I hope Keith enjoys it as much as I did. Everything sounded great. The guitar the vocals, did I say everything?

Loved it

bob

Lavallee

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Beautiful playing Dennis, another great idea from you . I always liked that song but have heard it in a long time as well. It was good to hear it so well played.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic