AcousticAl learning Man on the Moon (with melody) guitar lesson

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Marc and Chris' great upload inspired me to take a run at this song. (Chris, thanks for the chords.)

This is a true work in progress-- As you'll see, I'm trying to figure out how to play the chords and melody at the same time. I like this kind of playing and want to try more of it in the new year.

I know I'm missing the Bm chord when the tab called for it-- haven't figured how to fit that in yet.

Comments welcome.. and hope everyone's having a great holiday!

Al

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

thereshopeyet

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks

Lavallee

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi Al, this is great work to come out with the melody. I particularly like the G where you pick up the note with the pinky. The chords call for a D on the second chord. Chris is using a C shape on the 3 rd fret (also a D) which is a little richer than the regular D.

Another good video from you

Marc

Yamaha48

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks Al for this nice video.
I like the melody picking my friend.
That give a litle bit more.
Thanks for sharing.

Greetz Anton

michelew

Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:08 pm

That's coming along beautifully Al.

It reminds me that I must check out the Chord/Melody series. Looks like you've got the lessons down.

Make sure you post it when you're happy with it.

thanks

Michele

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:33 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Al

That's a great song, I like REM
You sound like the sound your getting and I know it won't be long before you've got it perfect like all your other videos.

I would like to be able to pick out the meoldy too, I tried with Let I Be and Hey Jude.
I then got distracted on to other songs.

I find I get so far with something and then progress no further ... so move on.... and go back to it.

I am glad you did that as it has reminded me to try them again.

How do you approach learning a song AL and on average how long do you think it takes you before your content to post a video.
Put another way... how many recordings might you do before uploading a video?

Cheers

Dermot

Hey there Dermot,

I too get frustrated with songs and leave them for a while (sometimes a LONG while). The trick is coming back to them.

To answer your question- I guess when I post a video will vary. It depends on whether I'm looking for help, or want to show a technique I'm working on, or just want to post a song that I'm pleased with at the time. But specifically with this video, I started to learn it after Marc and Chris posted their version (a week ago?). I didn't want or need this upload to be bang-on, as I am looking for input on how to improve my playing the melody with the strumming.

In general though, once I decide to record and post something, I probably record it about 4 or 5 times before I get something I'm semi-pleased with. It also helps that I now leave my recording gear set up all the time now. I can slide in a record whenever I feel like it-- less of a chore to set up etc.

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Al, this is great work to come out with the melody. I particularly like the G where you pick up the note with the pinky. The chords call for a D on the second chord. Chris is using a C shape on the 3 rd fret (also a D) which is a little richer than the regular D.

Another good video from you

Marc

Hi Marc,

Yes, I deviated from Chris' chord fingerings a few times. I like the '3rd fret D' as well- but I couldn't figure out how to get the melody notes I needed to hit while using that fingering-- so I used the regular D fingering. Let me know if you can think of a workaround for me.

And thanks again for posting your original video!

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:38 pm

yamaha48 wrote:
Thanks Al for this nice video.
I like the melody picking my friend.
That give a litle bit more.
Thanks for sharing.

Greetz Anton

Hi Anton,

Yes, this type of playing is great if you don't want to sing along. Much more interesting to my ear than just strumming chords.

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:41 pm

michelew wrote:
That's coming along beautifully Al.

It reminds me that I must check out the Chord/Melody series. Looks like you've got the lessons down.

Make sure you post it when you're happy with it.

thanks

Michele

I actually need to check the chord/melody series out myself, Michele. This is just me flying blind.
2011 will be my year to focus! (yeah right!)

Thanks for your comments.

rapsidy

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:11 am

sounds like its coming along Al i definately can hear what song yourplaying so you must be on the right track

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic