rapsidy just breathe guitar lesson review upload

rapsidy

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Nesh - yes i dont start work until Feb so have had some time on my hands :)
Michelew- I was unsure what stage you should tackle FP songs so if the best path is to learn Dust in the wind then thats what i will do it better be a good song :P

chas- :laugh: nice ponting pinky dig, i like it ;) and your advice was pretty good too!

Stuart- REALLY appreciate your effort and advice here as you have taken some time to reply and i will take it all on board

OK tony,Marc and others here is the plan

ssllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwww right down and practice practice practice, you know i have been doing that for 3 mths already :P right? and I will go learn Dust in the wind, lol i didnt even know the picking had a name Travis, and as Michelew has suggested i need to get one of those program thingy's that slows it down i think that will be very helpful.

thanks for your help you see if i hadnt of posted this i could have been practicing bad habits for along time and not progressing

so thanks all

Brad

p.s who is the artist responsible for dust in the wind??

michelew

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Brad,

Kansas wrote Dust in the WInd. I've PM'd the link to you.

Have fun.

Michele

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:30 pm

I haven't played this song in quite a while.  Hoping it will be smoother when i come back to it. I've actually been meaning to give it a try on my Martin (heads up Jay :) )

I think there's some pauses in the pattern that you're missing. You'll see them if you look at Neil's slowed-down version.  Webtvdan also did a great slower version in an upload that you should check out. 
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/86- ... ke-2#54015

Looking forward to an update..

Yamaha48

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:02 am

Hey hello my friend Brad.
Yeh play it slow down,and metronome.
That helps you.
I have the same with songs that i must working hard.
Maby 2 or 3 weeks working on a song.
The way i learn is workin on the tune,and play older lessons.
on the end comming back on the new lesson.
I do that evry day.
Thats the way i learn the songs.
Happy new year.

Greetz from Holland

jayswett

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:56 am

That sounds very good for someone who is just learning fingerpicking. Another Eddie Vedder song you might also work on is Tuolumne, which is a short instrumental song and has a similar fingerpicking patter if memory serves. It's only a minute long. Here's a link to the song, and there are several covers on Youtube if you hae an interest. Based on what I just saw of your Just Breathe video, it would't take long for you to learn it, and it might help you make some progess in improving your version of Just Breathe.

suziko

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 am

Nice job, Brad. After watching your video I decided I'd like to learn this song, too. I started working on it last night, then went back and read Stuart's advice to you. I think the hardest part of this song is the speed, and the second hardest is remembering to shift positions when playing the C chord. The advice everyone has given you has been great and I can't really add to it. I don't know if you have Guitar Pro, but I've been playing along with it, just with the speed cranked way down (I think I started with 50bpm and then slowly started upping it). That helps a lot for keeping your tempo regular throughout.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this song- maybe with singing included?

Suzi

p.s. Another song from the Into the Wild soundtrack that Jay mentions which uses Travis picking is Guaranteed. You might enjoy working on that as well.

rapsidy

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Al- I do watch tv dans version as it was that post of his that introduced me to the song originally, i will review often because unlike neils video it doesnt stream :woohoo: :woohoo: and i can rewind without having to wait a decade for it to work again :)

Jay- thanks for the link it was suggest to play dust in the wind, now i did go to the lesson and have a look but if your hearts not into the song i cant try and learn it as it just doesnt do it for me, but i like eddie so something like this i can do :) Not that there wasnt anything wrong with suggesting dust in the wind.

Suzi- Cant wait to see your version, no doubt you will nail it like your other songs :) it is my 2 year guitar anniversary on the 1st of jan but you seem to be picking it up much quicker than i do which is great for you, frustrating for me as i put hrs into this thing for what seems like little return :) . I do want to sing this song as a package its my favourite song great tune and great lyrics but it will be a long way off as i have now learnt how difficult it is to FP let alone to do both at once. I havent used Gpro and must get something like that.

Yam 48- yeh i usually cycle through songs that i have learnt while learning the new song to give yourself a break. I would love to be able to use a metronome but i just havent mastered it yet, i get the principal when strumming, but as soon as you start picking out individual notes i have no idea and just get lost.

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks

rapsidy

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:39 am

Dermot- thanks, yes they definitely sound similar but the lyrics didnt catch me and i thought it looks just as hard to learn that so i might as well persevere with it just breathe

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic