tvarga Alice's Restaurant guitar lesson review upload

tvarga

Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:27 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

After seeing Vanessa's fantastic rendition of Alice's Restaurant, I put that song next on my list to learn. This one's definitely fun.

I tried probably a hundred times to get a good take on playing this. I think I've been trying to play it too fast so some of the fingering isn't all that clean. But, I'm tired of trying, so I'm going with the best one I got. Unfortunately, I think my foot was tapping the mic stand, so there's some background noise. :S Oh well.

-Tom

Lavallee

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Nice playing Tom, and your foot on the mic stand sounds like an acoustic bass.

Marc

michelew

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Tom,

Great job on what looks like a really tricky song.

Sure looks tempting. (note to self ... focus...)

Michele

willem

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Hey Tom!

So great to watch you with this one as well! And yep definitely a fun song to play and I get what you mean of course. I think you're right, you should've probably slowed it down a bit. When you started I thought, wow hé has guts :P ! Doing my own take on this tune I just knéw that Neil (if he would do a review) would suggest that, so I did my best to control myself, haha, wich wasn't particularly easy!

However, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it a great deal, you are a very good guitarplayer and even in this tempo you've got it pretty much down alright!

Very good job!

Cheers

Ness..

lueders

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Nice going Sir! Very fluid...sounds awesome. I been working in this also. You have given me a goal to aspire to.
Thanks for the inspiration!

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:44 am

Tom, this is impressive. It makes me think of how also impressive it is for a kid like Arlo Guthrie to invent this tune at whatever very young age he did. Was it even before he was 20 years old ?

Do you sometimes try singing or humming to these wonderful complex tunes you have the perseverance to learn and play ? It would be a real kick to hear you at least mumble something to go along with this.

Wow,
Piierre

tvarga

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Thank you all for the nice words.

Ness, you're absolutely right that I was playing this too fast. Something about turning on the camera really messes with the mind ... and timing. :) This morning I did a few playthoughs at a slower pace and was able to play it over and over without any mistakes. Oh well. I'm not going to turn on the camera again for this one.

Pierre, I have to agree with you that Arlo sure has talent to write such a pretty sounding song.

That's what's been so great about TG. I've been introduced and exposed to all kinds of new music that I wasn't familiar with before.

RicksPick

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 am

I wondered what outstanding video/tune you had put up this time
Not disapointed here Tom
Nice to see It in progress, still impressive

Rickspick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic