mark All in good Time guitar lesson review upload

mark

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I've been trying my hand recently at making up some of my own music.

This is the first one and is played in dropped D tuning.

All comments welcome.
I'm not sure what to do with it next. Does it need developing?
Is it okay as it is?

wrench

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 am

Mark, I am terribly unqualified to comment on the theory and structure of your composition, but I am qualified to tell you I very much enjoyed that very pleasant and very well-played tune.

I attended a song writing workshop this past summer where Don Ross emphasized the role of a clearly defined structure in songs that become famous. He also said that as the judge of any solo guitar competition requiring original pieces, he is listening for structure. And, of course, proper application of music theory. I would say, therefore, that proper theory and structure are the differences between noodling and composing.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

tovo

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Man like Wow.

I knew you were up to something when you asked Neil how he went about composing. I am chuffed that I was right and blown away by the result.

is it OK as it is? Well it's better than OK. I really like that slapping technique and have been looking for a chance to use it. All I had to do was compose my own tune. How easy is that..why didn't I think of it? :)

You will need to wait for someone qualified to talk about your composition in technical terms Mark, I would think Neil will be all over it in terms of reviewing. I will just say I loved it.

Oh and you showed your face a little at the beginning. I wasn't reminded of the elephant man so perhaps you could show it a bit more? ;)

willem

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Just great Mark,what to say,well it is your song,so you will know the posibility's,,i had only a good time..and liked the whole vamp..

tvarga

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:29 pm

That was really great Mark. I imagine that trying to write your own music really opens the door to a whole new world of experimentation and learning.
Sometimes, when my mind begins to wander, I start playing various chord progressions and riffs and even occasionally hit something where I say, hmmm, I should try to remember that... but of course I don't. Maybe I'll be more motivated to do that now. Thanks. :)

jayswett

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:48 pm

I love the piece, and what I like particularly was how you incorporated so many techniques. Hammer ons, string and body percussion, alternative tuning, harmonics, and I"m sure there was a pull-off or two as well. Impossible to imagine that song as your first try at composing. If it was, you have have a real, natural talent for this type of endeavor. Very nice piece of music. And by the way, I also enjoy playing in Drop D.

Craig

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Mark,
I loved it! I'm not qualified to give you any advice, your playing and theory knowledge are lightyears ahead of me. But, I am qualified to say what sounds pleasing to my ear...and I thought it was wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Your posts always inspire me to become a better player. Thanks,
Craig

BobR

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Mark,

As others have said I don't know anything about structure but I must say I thought that was great to listen to. As far as is it OK? DEFINITELY!!, You have a real talent there.

Thanks for sharing,

Bob

MarkM

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:23 am

Mark,

Very nice!! I agree with Jay in that you threw just about everything but the kitchen sink into that song. Lots of different techniques in there. As for the actual playing I thought it was great. Every note was crisp and clear and you produced great tone. Nice job on the string slapping. I haven't figured out how to produce that sound yet. Very impressive work and you should be proud of yourself for this.

MarkM

Yamaha48

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 am

Wauw Mark, I'm quite impressed over here!

You just got yourself a great and very lovely song! I very much liked the little melody notes and riffs in it, the tapping, the harmonics, the percussive-stuff (it's all been said, but I'll say it again anyway;)), you've just done it all in there, without overdoing it! I also really liked the mainriff, got me too sing along a madeup melody, just becarefull on this little riff with a hammeron in it at 0.41 and 2.15 (wich was a beautiful one) that you keep the timing right.

I could go on, I just absolutely loved it!

Cheers

Ness...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic