mark All in good Time guitar lesson review upload

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Congratulations Mark, that is a lovely piece and it is very interestingly played with the harmonics dropped D and slapping and percussion going on. It's a very entertaining piece in its own right. You just had me slapping my strings for the past 15 minutes as when I've tried before it never worked wall. This time it did. Fun!

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am

Well sorry to say I'm not in the league to give constructive critique. Lovely sounding piece and all the effects, the only slapping I do is my own face when i stuff up a song.

I will be most interested in Neil's take on it. In the meantime take a bow man.

schm040

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:17 am

Hey Mark,

You have opened up the door to all of us to find the way to our own compositions. I have been promising my girlfriend that I would write her a song, so your post and great result is encouraging.

Thanks,

MattMassachusetts

dekotaj

Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 am

jayswett wrote:
I love the piece, and what I like particularly was how you incorporated so many techniques. Hammer ons, string and body percussion, alternative tuning, harmonics, and I"m sure there was a pull-off or two as well. Impossible to imagine that song as your first try at composing. If it was, you have have a real, natural talent for this type of endeavor. Very nice piece of music. And by the way, I also enjoy playing in Drop D.
Looks like Jay pretty much said it all.

THAT WAS JUST FANTASTIC SIR!! (BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thank you very much!

Kevin

mark

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks very much to everybody who took the time to reply.

It's really encouraging to get such good feedback

mark

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 am

wrench wrote:
I attended a song writing workshop this past summer where Don Ross emphasized the role of a clearly defined structure in songs that become famous. He also said that as the judge of any solo guitar competition requiring original pieces, he is listening for structure. And, of course, proper application of music theory. I would say, therefore, that proper theory and structure are the differences between noodling and composing.
Thanks for your comments. Certainly gives me something to think about.

I'm fairly sure the theory of the song should work out as everything is in the key of D with the exception of when it briefly goes to the D7 chord (a trick I stole from Hey Jude).

As for the structure, it doesn't really get any more complicated than repeat a section a couple of times and then go on to the next section.
Maybe Neil will give me a few pointers.

mark

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:01 am

tovo wrote:
Oh and you showed your face a little at the beginning. I wasn't reminded of the elephant man so perhaps you could show it a bit more? ;)
I've been compared to many things but the elephant man is a first for me :laugh:

I need to have the camera quite close because I am using the internal microphone for the sound, but I'll try and push it back just a bit.

mark

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 am

tvarga wrote:
That was really great Mark. I imagine that trying to write your own music really opens the door to a whole new world of experimentation and learning.
Sometimes, when my mind begins to wander, I start playing various chord progressions and riffs and even occasionally hit something where I say, hmmm, I should try to remember that... but of course I don't. Maybe I'll be more motivated to do that now. Thanks. :)
Tom
Guitar Pro is really useful for this. I write any thing I think might be useful down in it.
If I didn't I would forget it all.

I first started this probably 6 months ago and left it for ages. If it wasn't for Guitar Pro I would have forgotten it completly.

mark

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:10 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
just be carefull on this little riff with a hammeron in it at 0.41 and 2.15 (wich was a beautiful one) that you keep the timing right.
Ha Ha
You got me there.

It was one of those little things that I kind of knew in the back of my mind wasn't quite right, but I hadn't done anything to put it right.
I've always had trouble keeping the tempo right when trying to do a trill.

Thanks for pointing it out. I'll try and sort it out.

AcousticAl

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Wow Mark. No advice from me- just admiration. Creating and composing music is something I'd like to do some day..

"All in good Time" I guess?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic