schm040 Mrs. Robinson guitar lesson review upload

schm040

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:03 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

lueders

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Matt, way to go...first to upload Mrs. Robinson. Good on you. I been messing around with this one some myself. It sure is a fun one.(I remember back in the 90's the Lemonheads did a version of this that I thought it was pretty cool too.) Looks like you're navigating the fretboard pretty well. Everybody says this... I think you're doing something I do a lot. (You're in too big of a hurry...it was especially noticeable on the" de,da, de, de, dee, deee, dee melody part" that starts on the 7th fret and rapidly journeys up the neck.) I wouldn't even try to play this up to Simon's tempo just yet. This tune moves along at a pretty good clip. There's some understated yet tricky stuff in this little ditty. The devil is really in the details. (It definitely kicked my butt a time or two.) I had to go back and think more mathematically with the rhythm; and go real slow and exaggerate the mechanics before it had the right feel...and I'm still a ways off of where it needs to be.

Lavallee

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi Matt, good work on a not so easy song (I am working on it as well).The intro is coming out quite well and you have a good strumming throughout the song. Have you consider doing the muting in the riff that Neils shows?

Good work

Marc

beaker

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Matt, Hey man, that is a fine job on a hard song. I have tried it a bit, and I know this one is not easy, You have a lot of the riffs down really well and the rest will get ironed out in time I am sure. Good one, Beaker.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:31 am

Hey Matt!

Great to see you post another one and again not really an easy one ;)!

I liked your strumming, wich is quite solid and going really well throughout the song and these riffs, just pay attention to keep the beat going so you might wanna work a little on those some more. But I'm sure you'll get that down as well, good job Matt!

Thanks for sharing!

Ness

schm040

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:57 am

All,
You are so right, each of you, and it is the best part about posting for me that we provide constructive feedback. You guys are my teachers.

Speed, palm muting, and keeping the strum going solid are all challenges and thanks for pushing me.

It's funny, I know I miss a few beats hear and there, it's like I am thinking about doing my laundry or something for a second and I just miss. But as Neil says, KEEP GOING!!!

I love playing this one.

I promise my next video I will play the song of choice in total instead of partial pieces, sorry, it is a bad habit of mine to just be lazy and not play the correct arrangement.

Thanks again all.

MattMassachusetts

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:59 am

Hey Matt, great to see you post a video on this and I'm sure Neil will be jumping in with a response pretty fast so I look forward to that. Great job!
How about some face next time... no need to hide here as everyone is so supportive and it can onl add to the quality of an already good vid. Kodak Zi8?
Chris

schm040

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Chris,

Yes, I purchased an entirely new recording set up. Kodak Zi8 and a Juicedlink camcorder mixer, the CX-231. I am plugging a Shure KSM109 condenser mic into the Juicedlink which provides battery phantom 48V power for the mic.

Still working on the microphone set up as I am not satisfied with the sound quality, but that is half the fun. I am likely going to get another mic to place overhead in addition to the one near the sound hole. I read this is a good way to do it.

The great part about the Juicedlink, is I can no put 16 bit sound directly on the video recording without having to mix, which for me saves a ton of time for practicing. Plus the entire unit is portable and can go anywhere because both units are battery powered.

Hope that helps explain things. I will let you know how my new mic set up works out.

MattMassachusetts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic