Lavallee learning to play Wish you were here acoustic guitar

haoli25

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 am

Excellent work, Marc. I really enjoyed your performance. I am going back to watch it a couple of more times. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

Lavallee

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:46 am

Rick and Bill thank you for watching this is a great experience. Now you migth be stuck to hear more.

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Marc, I arrived late to the party ... any snacks left ?

I'm happy to see you feeling at ease adding your voice to the mix, makes a more rounded-out performance, you should be proud of it :)

Your strumming is like clockwork (as usual). The picking and sliding parts will be perfectly timed with a little more practice.
I would probably find it difficult to deliver these correctly in front of a camera, still too self-conscious.

A fun video, worth using as a measure of real progress.

Pierre

suziko

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Marc,

I liked this a lot. I play this song fairly regularly for fun, but I gave up trying to learn the lead (that comes right after the intro) about a year ago because it was too challenging for me at the time. Seeing you play it has inspired me to take a crack at it again.

I think a lot of us feel like singing is one of the biggest challenges we face with being a guitarist. It's hard for a lot of us and, at least for me, makes me feel even more vulnerable than just guitar playing does. But, like you said, the only way we can get better is by just practicing and doing it. I am so glad to hear you singing again, because I enjoyed your one singing venture (which must have been about a year ago!).

Great job, Marc, and thanks for posting it here, as I'd missed it in the Busking Pink Floyd thread.

Suzi

Lavallee

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Merci Pierre, sorry snacks are gone (veggies and dip :) ) The slides, most of times, comes alright, but as I said, it is most of the time. I will need still a fair amount of practice to lower the stress level and get it right consistently .

Merci Suzi, even though it look simple but that little solo is quite challenging . It took me a while to understand the notion of pre-bend in the 3rd phrase of the solo as it would never sound right before. Regarding the singing a few people on Tg are natural singers . People like me are starting as mono tone singer singing in the shower where nobody can really hear, is a big step forward to put it on a video. But giving the supportive crowd on TG , it is really an opportunity to learn. I find that besides trying to have the right tone (lot of work on the aspect still to do for me), having the phrasing in time with the chord is quite challenging. At least with the later, we can always practice with the original

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic