Lavallee learning to play Wish you were here acoustic guitar

Lavallee

Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Chris, thank you, when I visited you, you were a great inspiration for me to decide to sing. I could feel the enjoyment of being able to accompany the guitar. If I can learn guitar, one of these days I should be able to sing properly.

Thanks Mark, glad you enjoyed. I will be away on the week of Feb 14. Will you have your guitar?

Marc

Yamaha48

Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Hey Marc.

Playing and singing going better and better.
I like it my friend.
Thanks for sharring the video..

Anton

AcousticAl

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Thank you Al, you are right about practicing singing, I can only improve.
Marc
Marc,

I hope you took my comment the way I meant it..
I enjoyed your singing and know what courage it takes to do it for the first time.

I meant that if getting better at singing is your goal- you need to practice singing to get there.

jayswett

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Loved it, and I wish I was there to have played along with you. You looked very comfortable singing, and I look forward to more of it. Personally, I don't particularly enjoy singing, but I recognize that it's important in one's quest to become an accomplished all-around player. Nicely done on this. I'm really glad you took the plunge.

tovo

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Marc very nice. I think there are just a few sections that need more repetition and you will be playing that tune perfectly. I really liked it. Bravo.

Lavallee

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:08 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Lavallee wrote:
Thank you Al, you are right about practicing singing, I can only improve.
Marc
Marc,

I hope you took my comment the way I meant it..
I enjoyed your singing and know what courage it takes to do it for the first time.

I meant that if getting better at singing is your goal- you need to practice singing to get there.
No worry Al, I took it as you meant it, I was just reaffirming what you said. I have seen all the people improving their singing, so I thought that even if I start form further behind, I can just go up. Singing with the original helps a lot to get the right intonation and phrasing, knowing the words by heart is a big help as well. It was mentioned many times by Neil and others but I had never tried until now.

Marc

Lavallee

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Thank you Anton, definitely a good exercise to do both

Thank you Jay, I realized in working with this song the timing is so linked to the words, doing both can only improve the playing as well.

Thank you Tony, I agree with the extra work needed on the song. I played it three times before with no mistakes (I think :) ) but decided to do only one take on the camera as I want to be able to lower the pressure given by the camera. If it works , it works, if it is not perfect, it is OK too. I need to able to deal with this as I noticed that when I met Chris,at the beginning I just could not play anything just knowing that he was looking (same as the camera , I guess). It could easily be compared to putting in golf, just put a dollar wager on the put and the hands get tight.

Marc

schm040

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Marc,

Kudos. You met your new year's resolution and you posted what can be a tricky song. I enjoyed it, and as Ness would say, it will season and you will get smoother every time you play it.

I like how you incorporated the verse rhythm with the lead part, not easy.

Matt

Lavallee

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:15 pm

Thank you Matt, I actually have been practicing the guitar part for many months as it took me a long time to get the strumming from a music sheet (I am quite a slow learner). In the solo there is a pre bend that took me a long time to understand and signing really started a few weeks ago as I was practicing for Mrs Robinson (which you did a nice job on), since I was getting bored to sing the same thing all the time. As you said it will improve over time and I will be able to add the little vibratos in the solo, per example, that I could not afford to do at this time.

The rhythm part with the solo is what Neil does in the play through of the lesson, I was trying to emulate what he did
Marc

RicksPick

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:43 am

Marc
I wish you were here Again lol

that was impressive, to see/hear you sing
I know you play real good and now the whole package
Ive been waiting and you didnt disapoint ;)
Well done my friend

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic