Here's what I'm giving Neil Diamond for his birthday

dennisg

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Last month, in my Keith Richards birthday post, I mentioned that I was thinking about doing one of these birthday posts every month. Since I'm a guy who stands behind his threats, here is my January contribution.

Neil Diamond had a remarkable career in the 1960s, penning such hits as "I'm a believer" and "A little bit me, a little bit you" for the Monkees. Of course, he also had a monstrous singing career, selling a total of 115 million records worldwide. And, as we in America like to say, that ain't chickenfeed.

He had his first hit with "Solitary Man" in 1966, and it's that song I'm throwing back at him. Believe me, he deserves better. I'm committed to doing these birthday songs in one take, come what may. And what came this month was a distorted guitar -- I think because I was wailing on it this month using the same amp settings that I had set for last month's "Lady Jane," a very sedate song. Oh, well.

Happy 70th birthday, Neil. I probably should have bought you a tie instead.

Next month I'm going to do a chick song that I've always loved, which means it's Jamie's turn in the spotlight again.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

michelew

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Dennis,

Great birthday tribute to Neil D. - the Jewish Elvis.

Hey I know this one. Wonders will never cease.

I LOVED it. SO gutsy and full of emotion. And the dirty distortion just added to the gutsiness of it. So that's you showing a limited vocal range eh, hmmm... And this is a great demonstration of your new mission - using a pick more.

1966 eh?, my birth year.

I like you new one take philosophy, now that's courageous.

LOVED IT!

Michele

thereshopeyet

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks

willem

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 pm

WOW Dennis,,a bit distorsion,,but i still like it,,you were whole in it,,

EDIT: It is a nice idea,,the birthday/artist thread....an other possibility to upload some thing,,but i don't know when they have birthday's

MarkM

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Dennis,

As usual it was a top notch production. Great song. I thought your voice was really strong on this song. Especially in the chorus. You were at your best there. Actually the more I think of it those chorus's were remarkable really. You projected really well and the notes you hit were fantastic. Well done Dennis. Always a pleasure watching these from you.

MarkM

suziko

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:38 pm

What? No sequined shoes? No fringed leather jacket? oh well, I still swooned! :)

Yeah, there's a lot of distortion, but it still sounds great. I agree that your vocals were perfect for this. Loved the choruses and loved the energy you put into it. Really nice clean hammer-ons, too.

I liked this a lot, Dennis!

Suzi

tovo

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Den,

Love this tune, loved your performance. I agree with what others have written, the distortion didn't ruin your fine performance and your voice was great for it.

Personally, I wish you had done it over. You kicked ass on that playing, something that is a very easy strumming tune (I have learned it) but you gave it the embellishments that made it so much more than that, and crystal clear audio would have done far greater justice to your great playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are frustrated by your voice. It's great now, but when you had full use of it, man it must have been spectacular.

You're a great player Den.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Great performance and song-cum-birthday-card for Neil Diamond Dennis! Wow 70! He was so big in the 70's. Saw him in concert in Zürich many moons ago and he way good. I also wish you had re recorded it because of the distortion as everything else was so good. I like the idea of a one take video but also would compromise with issues like that... no one would know the dark secret.

PS: Great idea on the birthday video posting.

Lavallee

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Dennis, I am not familiar with the song, so the distortion just sounds great. I like the intro riff which I find you have a very good tempo for. You singing is great an I am sure Neil would be happy to see your video.

Marc

schm040

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Solid strumming and hats off to anyone who can sing and play at the same time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic