davesnow77 learning Angie guitar lesson

davesnow77

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:44 pm

HI All,

Thanks for the replies. Wasn't really expecting them but it's very motivating. Makes me want to learn more songs!

Not sure on the protocol here. Do you typically respond to each person individually or is it OK to do a group response like I think I'm doing here?

[ul]MarkM- on the tapping, I actually toned it down from what I do normally. I usually tap right on the pick guard fairly loudly to be get the feel for the time, but I'm not sure that's a good habit. Maybe Neil can say?[/ul]

[ul]Al-There's not a lesson for picking the melody, just a strumming version. I just liked what Neil did (in Part 1-Play Through) so much I tried to copy it. I listened to his again just now and realized I didn't follow him completely (his notes are almost identical to the syllables in the words!) but I'm happy I got what I did. Somewhere on here, Neil talks about how much more fun it is to play the melody lines and I totally agree so I wanted to try it. Especially since, as Leo Kottke says, my voice sounds like geese farts on a muggy day.[/ul]

[ul]Thanks Ness, Scott & Cori. The nice words are motivating.[/ul]

ul]Bob- yeah that stretch is hard. After watching Neil again, I think I may be trying to hold that full Bar F for no reason. I could just go up and hit that note. Holding that bar w/ short, fat fingers ain't easy.[/ul]

[ul]Suzi- yeah the percussive mute is fun. Neil kind of did it but I took a bit further after a few glasses of red wine. Hey if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing, right?[/ul]

[ul]Chris- yes got the 411 on the uploads. Gonna have to put up Waiting for a Friend now I guess! (Neil got me on a Stones kick)[/ul]

lueders

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Hey Dave,

On the "response to the response" thing I don't think there is any rule of etiquette that is etched in stone. (Fairly informal lot of folks around here.) I think how you replied was just fine. At least I hope it is, because that is what I usually do.

Cori

buddy

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Dave,

This is really good stuff here. You did a really nice job on this. Would love to see the long version of this when you finish it up.

Bud

jayswett

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Very nice. That slide was a nice touch, and I'd like to learn it. I will study your video numerous times, I'm sure. Thanks for posting it.

tovo

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Dave that was real cool. I really enjoyed listening. A small stumble but nothing that detracted from the overall performance so perhaps a bit pedantic of me to mention it. I'm really glad to see a new person posting and I hope you continue.

On the "comments on the comments" issue, I agree with Cori, do what you think is right, there's certainly no protocol.

Great post.

davesnow77

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey Mark

Looked at your pic. You a fly fisherman? I've' been (forgive me) hooked for years. Do an annual trip to Montana w/ some old high school friends but last year was canceled as we all had rough years work-wise. Can't wait for the next one.

davesnow77

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi Al,

Thanks for the comment. Not sure if you saw it but there's not a lesson on the melody part but Neil plays it that way (well, plays it better but sort of that way) in the Part 1-Preview section of the lesson. I just tried to copy it best I could.

BTW, I looked at your Bourree in EM post. Whoa. I'm a long way from that.

Thanks
Dave

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Thanks

willem

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:50 am

Hi Dave,,thats the way,,,love the Keith part most, and of course the Neil part,,lets say i liked all the picked out notes between the strummings it add's a lot,,

''Angie'' my all time favorite and practiced it a lot but got distracked on other songs,,you inspired me to go back on it,,thanks for your upload..

michelew

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:08 am

Dave,

That was fantastic! Boy if this is how you play when the camera is messing with your head, how will you play when you relax into it?

Brilliant idea mixing the melody into the TG song. I also LOVED the slide and the percussive bits (I'm also a 'if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing' sort of person).

Way to go on your first post. Hopefully you've got the bug now and will keep them coming. Perhaps you could include your face next time.

I really enjoyed it and now I want to learn it too.

Fabulous job.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic