Lavallee learning to play Mrs Robinson acoustic guitar

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:53 pm

I haven't looked at this lesson yet. After this I might just need to take a look, as it became a favourite of mine after watching the movie.

Very impressive Marc, you seem to have all the parts down, just a case of smoothing things out, I don't believe you are far off the mark Marc!

MarkM

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Marc,

So this is what you've been up to in the great white north. Great job. The runs were impressive. Your fingers where flying all over the place there. I too looked at this a while ago but couldn't get the feel of it at the time and put it down. I agree with you that I could listen to this all day. Nice job on the singing. That looks pretty tough while playing this song. Keep it up. Great to see another video from you.

MarkM

wammer

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Marc
Great job...........You seemed like you were having a great time and really enjoying it. So glad your singing....

Tammy

reiver

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Well, Marc - for someone who is just starting to dip his toes in the world of singing you just dive straight in at the deep end........if you'll pardon my mixed metaphors. I would think that even experienced singers would find this song tricky to sing and play along with - pretty intricate pick work and timing on those riffs - so BIG congratulations, not only on tackling it but on doing such a great job of it. Hope you were enjoying yourself as much as you appeared to be.

Great job

Stuart

Lavallee

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to port a comment and to Neil to have post such a fun song to learn (especially that explosive intro).

Thanks Jim, It is a challenging I think because of the quick picked notes which moves the focus from singing to playing.

Thank you Cori, I started working on it about 6 months ago . It took me a long time to get the feel of the intro. Then when I tried to sing, I had to learn the other rundowns. I have replaced the end of the intro with some strumming as I could not get out of it the way Neil made it (it is over my head). Looking forward to see your take on it.

Hi Chris, thanks for the comment. Give it a go, you would have a lot of fun singing that song (I am sure you are already singing it but the riff adds to the guitar part nicely)

Than you Suzi, you are way too charming to be a Mrs Robinson, but the song is quite fun. I have listen to the original at least 200 times (there is plenty of room for another 200) and I was trying to emulate the strumming as Neil shows it in the lesson. which is quite lively.

Thanks Craig, the opening riff is what took me the longest to learn (not finished yet), but I was so excited when Neil posted the lesson , I did not mind putting the time.

Mike, thanks for your comments, I saw the picking accuracy you have in Thick as a Brick, and I am sure you will have this in no time. As Neil explains in the lesson, one of the challenge is to pick in a quick strumming, sometimes only two strings and then changing position ups and downs to reach the melody strings and it is easy to hit more strings and it sounds too busy. It is a Yamaha APX 900.

Hi Michele, thanks for the kind words, I have decided not to worry about the quality of the singing with the hope that it will eventually improve.

Thanks Buddy, would be nice to have your half your voice.

Thank you Dean, yes the chorus is much easier to sing than the verse as I could not get the strumming to match what was needed. More work down the road

Chas, thank you, if you like the song, it is a great motivation to learn it. Regarding the end of your comment with the " mark Marc!" that sounds like a dog with a harelip barking ;)

Hi Mark, we actually have quite less snow in my area than yours , I afraid the great white north is shifting south . The verses are the toughest for me to sing because of that quick rundown and the bar chord riff I added which required my CPU to work at 120% not leaving anything to remember the words (this is where I mumble in the song)

Thank you Tammy, I really do enjoy this song, I am glad it is noticeable.

Hi Stuart, than you for your comments. Singing for me while playing is 10 times more demanding as I struggle to remember the lyrics and the phrasing. But it is such a great experience and I am glad that you guys have motivated me as I realize now how fulfilling it is to sing and play. I will never be great at it but I will certainly have fun practicing

tovo

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:30 am

Hi Marc. Well played indeed! It's pretty tricky that tune and you play it very well. I also applaud your resolution to sing. I think you could benefit by taking Brad's example. Sing out! Let everyone hear, cause it ain't bad. You said yourself some tricky phrasing and that's true, but your level of difficulty on this is high, not so easy to sing and play more difficult stuff. I thought you did a good job.

Even the "real life Mrs Robinson" thought so!

Lavallee

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:47 am

Thank you Tony for your good comments. I actually sing loud but my guitar setup is taking over. I plug the guitar in an amplifier and sing without a microphone, so the guitar is quite louder. The guitar is made to be amplified as it is a thin body, without the amplification it sounds like it is on helium, you cannot hear the bass strings. Know that I have decided to sing (this is just a month old decision) I will get some proper gears .

Hopefully Mrs Robinson will approve

Marc

willem

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:36 am

Sundaymorning 6-2-2011 in the Netherlands i enjoyed Marc's playing and singin ''Mrs Robinson'',, i have looked had the lesson when it came out and so you can read i said
''I LOOKED'''''

Thanks Marc,,your alway's an inspirering..

dennisg

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:15 am

That is one very action-packed song, and watching you play it so expertly makes me really appreciate the time you put into it, not to mention how brilliant Paul Simon is for writing it.

I love the fact that you've gotten enough confidence to try singing, and I'd really like to hear more of it.

Lavallee

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:48 am

Thank you Willem for your comments, glad you LOOKED

Hi Dennis, really appreciate you watched it. It is one of those songs that I have always dream to play because of the joy I have, whenever I hear it. It is the same with " Feeling Groovy" or "You can call me Al" that are very upbeat and you can't help start moving, expecting to have fun for a few minutes. He is a true genius.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic