Here's what I'm giving Sheryl Crow for her birthday

dennisg

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 am

Before I address people individually, Jamie asked me to give a huge thank-you to everyone who said such incredibly nice things about her performance. She saw the comments last night for the first time, and she was blown away by the support.

Chris: It really was a lot of fun. Unlike "Angel from Montgomery," which required 19 takes, we did this song in only two, so we weren't exhausted by the time we got a keeper.

RicksPick: I often wonder if rock stars go to YouTube and watch the various covers of their songs, and whether or not the stars are flattered, confused, or anguished. I think if Sheryl Crow saw our version, she'd give us a polite smile.

Buddy: "Gritty, sexy, and touching" is a perfect way to describe her music. As a writer, I'm jealous that you came up with that instead of me. Thanks, Bud.

Lueders: Thank you so much for your very, very generous comments about my playing. I'll be completely honest with you, it's not something I even think about in this song, which is probably why I play it completely differently every time. The only two things I do consistently -- from version to version -- are to hammer the G string on the D5 chord, and to keep in mind that I need to vary what I'm doing, to avoid tedium, because I play a repeated chord pattern throughout the song. And even those two things I'm not really thinking about while I'm playing. Jamie got a big laugh at your comparison of her voice to Lucinda Williams, who she really likes. Yes, I saw "A Mighty Wind." Since you mention the repeated smooching in that film, I plan to never kiss my wife again. Just kidding. We're making out as I write this. By the way, if you want to recommend a song for a duet, I'm all ears.

Bob: Nice to hear from you, and thanks for the comments. Singing harmonies is fun, and I consider myself very lucky to have an ear for them.

MillpondDave: Thanks very much.

Hydroman52

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Great job and perfect ending.

Thanks for posting,
Hydroman52

cosmicmechanic

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Dennis, I decided to delay watching your video until my 48 hour bug had passed and I could dim the lights and sink back and lisssen.

I fell for this, hook (get it?), line and sinker. Jamie's voice creates the mood ... and you are the tune.
I also felt it was an accomplishment to play this standing up, and this tune is really one on which to bop around a bit while playing, it's only natural.
Truth be told, I wanted to hand Jamie a tambourine, wouldn't she like that?

About requests, dang it, Kate Mcgarrigle's birthday is also February, and her sister Anna's is in December !
There might be a workaround: how about "happy birthday late wishes" ?

Bravo !

Pierre

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 am

Dennis & Jamie,

That was really well done! Jamie- great to see a video with you again, and I think you captured the feel and mood of this song perfectly.
Dennis- You did a great job on harmony-- I have a really hard time playing and singing harmony-- I always want to revert back to the melody!

I'll be sure to show this to Helen, and that we have company in the hubby/wife duet category.

dennisg

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:38 am

First, a happy birthday to my wonderful wife Jamie.

Beaker: Jamie and I don't do these videos very often, but it really is a huge amount of fun when the camera rolls. Most of the time we laugh like little kids when we look at each other.

Hydro: Thanks very much.

Pierre: I've come to the conclusion that your responses to my uploads are far more entertaining than the actual videos. Hey, a tambourine's a really good idea -- and one more excuse to visit my local guitar store. Playing standing up is something I force myself to try; you can see how I had to shorten my guitar strap in order to hit one of the chords right at the end of the song. I'm a fan of the McGarrigle sisters, and I count "The McGarrible Hour" among my favorite CDs. Their version of "What'll I Do" absolutely slays me.

Al: Like everything else about the guitar, playing and singing harmony just takes practice. From what I've seen, that combo is well within your capabilities. It's best to start with songs in which you don't have to think about the guitar part. Which one of us will be first to post a new thread: "Busking with a Spouse/Partner"?

rapsidy

Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 am

thanks dennis & jamie a really superb performances loved it B)

Lavallee

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 am

Better late than never, sorry for being late. You guys make an excellent duo. Jamie has such a great voice and you are creating great harmonies. I particularly like your guitar playing. It is full of space, the guitar playing has a lot of air and I think this is very difficult to play to have everything in time and you make look so natural.

Great work guys

Marc

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:00 pm

I'd guessed it was to be a Sheryl Crow song , but never thought it would be a duet. That was fantastic, you guys are simply amazing together. well done.

haoli25

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:59 pm

WOW!! That was pretty cool. And to think, all I was going to give Sheryl Crow for her birthday was an old worn-out, drugged-out Lance Armstrong doll with a detachable gonad. :)

dennisg

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Brad: Thanks very much.

Marc: I really appreciate your comments on the guitar work. Coming from you, that means a lot to me.

Chas: You're right, you guessed her. I almost said something at the time. Thanks for the support.

Bill: She's better off with my gift.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic