tvarga learning Quicksand - Part 1 guitar lesson

tvarga

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 am

I was thrilled to see that Neil put up his lesson on Quicksand. I fear that attempting this song may be biting off a little more than I can chew. :) However, since I've been asking him for this lesson, I'm very motivated to work hard on learning it although part 2 sounds scary difficult.

Anyway, as always, when the camera's off I can play this pretty well now ... even making sure to let the appropriate notes ring for a while. My camera-induced stiff fingers and flubs took care of not letting that happen in the video.

Oh well, I have to give my fingers a rest and go with this take for now...

Hopefully Neil will put up part 2 soon before I forget part 1. :)

-Tom

dtaylor

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Holy Cow, Tom you don't mess around. That sounds very nice to me.
After seeing the rendition in the lesson my socks were elsewhere, you sure love a challenge. Great start!

Dean

dennisg

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Tom,

It looks to me like you've more than met the challenge. That was just beautiful.

tvarga

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks guys!

I really tried to do what Neil suggested to Vanessa in her most recent review and that is to play the hardest part, or measures over and over and over again.
At one point I must've repeatedly played the last 4 measures at least 100 times. It was very frustrating at first and then I was amazed that at one point, my muscle memory took over and once I could stop really thinking about it, it would start to work.

The question I keep asking myself is ... does every great guitarist really play a song hundreds of times over and over again to get it down right? Or, am I just slow or too old? :)

snipe

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:03 pm

I am envious of your finger picking skills. That is something i really have to work on. Sounded excellent to me. Looking forward to part 2
Mike

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi Tom,

Thumbs up for taking on such a highlevel song again!

And trust me, you're nót a slow learner or too old, these songs just take a while and even when you get them down, like I mentioned on Bourree, songs like that need to age and for that you have to keep playing it hundreds of times, that certainly goes for me!

And what are you talking about, this lesson was up like four days ago, you should be really proud of yourself, you can really focus, very well done!

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm

That looks just great already Tom. Great job!

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks

Craig

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Great job Tom! You hit all of those notes very clean. Well done!
Craig

buddy

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Tom,

This was really great. Every time I look at one of your songs I always thing "This is what a lot of hard work and a lot of natural talent can accomplish". Can't wait to hear and see how this song progresses for you. Be sure to post up your progress so we can share in your experience.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic