rapsidy learning to play if not for you acoustic guitar

rapsidy

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:45 am

I just love this song, im addicted to it :) , next part will be to add the slide bit, got to buy a slide bit first :S though.

Any tips good or bad , i can take it i think :dry: ?

thanks TG ers

tovo

Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:38 am

Brad, mate not too shabby! You have that down pretty good in my opinion so get into the slide bit. As I have said many times, I think you have a great raw talent with your voice. I would like to see you experiment with modulating the volume. You always give it everything in your singing, which is certainly preferable than being too timid to sing out, but I would like you to try just backing off a little and trying to control your voice a bit.

Hey....I'm saying what I think. I am no singer and no singing coach. I think it's solid, I'm giving my ideas to make it better. If I am off the mark and someone with more expertise says so, all good. Then Brad my friend we will have both learned something, so I sure my ideas are received as intended. Ideas for improving.

Cheers mate.

willem

Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:02 am

hey Brad,,Tony toke some words from me,,,fun song but lets slide it away....

neverfoundthetime

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:08 am

Hey Brad, nice going.. you Aussies just love that song eh? ;-)

Now put a capo on 5th Fret and sing it lower (7 half steps) and you may find that a lot easier on your voice.
Chris

BigBear

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 am

Good work Brad!

Strumming songs like this is becoming natural on you now, I think. And you only reach that level when you just play all kinds of songs like day and night.

I agree with Tony on the singing, you have a raw talent, you sing in key, you dare, you have quite some volume and so on, and to get better, try to....well Tony already said it, it'll be the next step in your overall performance, wich I certainly like already!

Keep it up Brad, great to see you again!

Ness

michelew

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:34 am

Good job mate. It's sounding great. The quick change is fun isn't it.

I wish I had a bit more of your singing daring, confidence. I love the way you go for it. The others have got great advice for you there.

You've GOT to give the slide a go too. It's heaps of fun.

(Off-track comment - (nicking this from Cori) ) Being younger, I suppose that you didn't need to get the Olivia Newton John version out of your head. Good for you. She almost spoiled it for me completely.

It's great that you're having so much fun with this song.

Michele

Lavallee

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:38 am

Hi Brad, great work mate, your strumming is very good now. The hand is moving in time and it is continuous. You look very relaxed and seem to have fun. Maybe it was easier for the singing but at 1:24 you have a run down. You are doing the chords but you are strumming through. There is a bit of emphasizing on the the bass but it is more like a strum than a picking stroke . We would expect to hear the individual bass notes with strumming in between.

Marc

rapsidy

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Hi Tony- I want your advice opinion its no good just blowing smoke... you know what i mean ;) because as you said we wont learn anything, so thank you and you can be forth right with me anytime mate :) i appreciate it. The difficulty i have is once i hear a song i find it difficult not to try and sing it like the singer, I did find it difficult to sing and it is not where i want it and will have to learn HOW to modulate...

willem yes i am looking forward to the slide and will post a revised better version in the future hopefully

Chris- I was hoping you would come in with this advice and i will give it a try, lol I have never heard oliver sing this song only grease songs. I only first heard this song when Michele introduced me to it on the busking thread then i you tube georges version and just loved it....

Nesh- thank you for your encouragement i just have to learn the HOW of modulating :unsure:

Michele- thanks for introducing this song to me, it has really grabbed me :) if not for you, i would never of heard this song :P thanks, yes I have never heard oliver's version but i will have a listen soon, and i cant wait to buy my slide and get started.

Marc- man i thought i did alright on the run down :P but thanks i will go back and watch Neil more closely.. Thanks for showing me appreciate it :)

lueders

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Brad, I think your strumming is getting much more fluid and natural looking. You're gonna gonna be damn good one of these days I think. You're got some natural stuff going for ya I think...NO SMOKE. I mean. (Wouldn't say if I didn't
think so.) Keep at it...and when you get real, real good give me some lessons. (I been all over the map lately.)

snipe

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Brad

Im late to comment on this but just wanted to say it looks to me that you continue to improve especially in your strumming, and I agree with others that your voice is a powerfull instrument!!
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic