lueders learning to play Alison acoustic guitar

tovo

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 am

jayswett wrote:
I did notice the tempo change, for what it's worth. Nevertheless, you obviously have the song on the ropes and with a little more work, it will be a nice, recocngizable song to pull out of your back pocket at any time.
I watched it this morning (some hours ago) and though you were pretty hard on yourself Cori. I also noticed the tempo change but also like Jay I think you will have it cracked soon. It's nice to see a work in progress video.

skaladar

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 am

Hi Cori,

I think that was a great effort. After reading your description I wasn't sure what to expect. Perhaps this is another case of one being ones worst critic which I guess we all are to a degree. A little polish and you should be able upgrade this from "a work in progress" to "one under the belt". I'm looking forward to your final arrangement.

Ken

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 am

Nice upload, Cori. Liked the picking and slides throughout.. I could also hear you singing WAAAAAY in the background..

One thing I noticed (because I'm an offender myself) is the angle of your right wrist while picking. Neil likes us to angle our wrist, and have our fingers/knuckles more towards the floor. This allows for cleaner picking of the strings.

BobR

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Cori,

Seems like you have all the parts. I'd like to see this again when you're not so hard on yourself.

Good job

Bob

snipe

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:28 am

lueders,

Well,,, I think you play it just fine. Some more time on it will get all the bugs out. I know that wont take long for you! looking forward to a followup if you are so inclined!
Mike

dennisg

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Cori,

I've been playing around with Alison, too, and I'm very impressed by what you've done with it. It's a surprisingly difficult song, and your hard work on it shows up as confidence and an enjoyable performance. Next up for you: adding a voice?

lueders

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Sorry, for being late in getting back. to everybody. Been using my Saturday the best I can practicing "you know what"
I'm getting the timing a little better and the first verse and chorus sounds good when Krista sings it. (On songs like this my lack of singing ability is a real pain in the butt.)

Dennis- Thank you very much. I appreciate it greatly! It is a deceptive tune isn't it? Looks pretty simple on the surface. But with the quirky syncopated parts...and then I went and made it even harder by playing it in a different key and trying to finger-pick the verse. (I will be REAL curious to see what you do with this. I am anxious to pick your brain on this.) I thought in theory it would create variety to finger pick the verse and then strum the verse. But the change sounds a little too drastic & abrupt...especially without a vocalist over the top. Anyways, that is where I am at with it. Like I said, I am real anxious to see what you'll do with it. You have a knack for doing interesting things that add variety but yet serve the song. Thanks, again.

Snipe- Thanks, man I'll log some more hours and see where it goes.

Bob- Thanks, your a good man. I'll try and be a little nicer to myself.

Bill- Thanks for the support.
Thanks for aiding in the lobbying effort to get Vanessa to do a Tracy Chapman song?

Ken- Thanks, you're a scholar and a gentleman. I appreciate your positive nature. Gonna go check out your post.
Thanks again.
Suzi- Thanks I appreciate it. I'll work on the timing and flow till it is down pat.

Jay- As always, thanks a lot. Again timing...(one of your strong suits by the way.) I'll work on it some more.

Tony- Or, should I say Leonard? Thanks, man I'll try to be more positive and get that timing down.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:48 am

Hi Cori,

Finally able to réally listen to your video!

I think you're doing pretty good, you're doing very well on all the chord-changes and the plucking as well (yes Al already mentioned the thumb)...as for the timing, you're doing well on that too, it's just those little riffs in the beginning of the song that makes you slight of a little bit.

Changing to the next section of the song, strumming, well you gave it a swing-time-feel! Down down up, down down up, wich you did pretty good, haha! I didn't know this song, so I went to the lesson to take a look, and it's indeed the strumming that you changed, maybe you've already noticed by now, but it's actually the Folk-strum, down down up up down up etc.

Well like I said, you're doing pretty good here, just pay attention to the timing and the strumming, wich I'm sure you will (or already do by now) in no time!

Ness

lueders

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks, Vanessa!( How how are the Tracy Chapman songs going? )

Thanks for the encouragement and validation...I appreciate it greatly. Especially from the human metronome.
Thanks for watching so intently to help me decipher what the heck is really going on... so I can get better. Afterall.
that is why we are here.
* I'm happy to report, it is much better now. Must have played each part (and the transition) a ba-zillion, ga zillion times by now...and it is coming along more and mores. Krista sings over it and it sounds decent on playback. (to my ear, anyways)

Hey,so how 'bout some Tracy Chapman?

MarkM

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Cori you are well on your way!!! Nice job so far. Who would have thought his little song by Elvis Costello would have been this difficult. I too have given this a cursory play through and found it quite tricky. You'll have this one in no time I'm sure.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic