lueders learning to play Alison acoustic guitar

lueders

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi everyone,

Okay, a work in progress here folks...

Definitely not my best take...the old "I played it better in rehearsal cop-out," I guess.
My tone is kinda stinky here and I just kinda ended it. I have been playing it in the key of D with a capo on the 2nd fret to make it the actual key of E. Here I didn't do that just to see what it sounds like I guess. And I think we decided Krista likes to sing in D so maybe I'll just play like this. Still working on the arrangement, too. I might decide to just strum the last verse and chorus; but I dunno.

Anyways, I found that strumming slowly was a real challenge after that glacial- paced, finger-picked verse and intro.On the video I over compensated and it sounds a bit clunky on that second upstroke of the F#minor chord.
I am optimistic however because I think this is coming along and after enough times through I think it will eventually sound half-decent.

Any feedback welcome, Thanks in advance Cori

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

buddy

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Cori, This is a good early effort. I agree with some of your comments as to what would improve it. It sound a little different on this type of guitar and your finger picking is coming along really good on this.

Bud

Lavallee

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi Cori the fingerpicking sounds really nice, I really like the sound of the dobro

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Cori the timing seems pretty even to me, no hesitation in the rhythm, makes it interesting all the way through.

Pierre

suziko

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 pm

Cori,

That intro sounds great! Love the percussion throughout. I agree that there seems to be some disconnect between the tempo of the intro and the verse, but that seems like something you'll smooth out over time and repetition.

Really nice job!

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks

lueders

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks all,

I'm sitting here listening & critiquing myself like some kind of narcissist....One time I watch and think the tempo from verse-chorus is definitely disconnected and the next time I watch it I think it isn't that far off. I dunno?

I think maybe it is the sloppiness, and lightness of the strumming that bothers me as much as anything. (aside from some of the chord stabs in the finger-picking section maybe not being held quite long enough.) I can't wait to re-record this sucker, already. I am even more motivated, now!

haoli25

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Good job, Cori. I like the resonator, it sounds pretty cool. I don't think the timing between the verse and chorus is that far off. You will have it perfect in no time. Thanks for posting the video.

Bill Image

jayswett

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:17 am

I did notice the tempo change, for what it's worth. Nevertheless, you obviously have the song on the ropes and with a little more work, it will be a nice, recocngizable song to pull out of your back pocket at any time.

reiver

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:29 am

Nice job Cori. Sounds to be coming along just great. Good work.

Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic