Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:12 am

Ken welcome from the Uk

What an introduction
A big tune to tackle
Nicely done

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:14 am

Hey Ken, congrats on a great start-zp video and welcome to the poster's club!
I thought you did really well and are not far off having this down.
As I'm late to the party, everyone has made the comments which come to mind. On the effects, I like the chorus but wonder what it would sound like acoustically.
Chris

skaladar

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56 am

BigBear - I'm really glad to hear from someone who is very familiar with this song and has worked through it to the degree you have. Your suggestions read pretty much like my "to do" list in areas I know I need to focus on. The harmonics and whole intro for that matter just got rushed through as I was thinking ahead. As I mentioned somewhere earlier I am working on muting chords with a free finger rather than palm muting as I am now. And of course making the whole song smoother, cleaner and flow more effortlessly is a matter of putting in the time. I agree slowing it down is helpful in that regard. I do like to sing this while playing it and I, like you, wish I had a voice like Greg Lake's. I want to get the playing nailed down as much as possible so I thought it would be a good time for some feedback before I get into bad habits that are hard to break. Thanks for your input and encouragement.

Rick - Yep, I was never one to sneak in the backdoor to a party ... hehe. I really love all of Greg Lake's work and I'm so happy Neil does too. I just wish most weren't so complex, but then they might not be so appealing. I figure "The Sage" ought to take me right into retirement and then some. :ohmy: Thanks for watching and commenting.

Chris - Yay, I'm in the video poster club! ... and a fine place to be. Thanks for the welcome. I've gotten some mixed opinions about adding the chorus effect but my 20/20 hindsight tells me it was not the smartest thing to do with a video I'm posting for review. My guitar sounds a little lacking without an equalizer and I truly didn't expect the chorus to be that apparent until I heard it after uploading it. I hope to be following up on this and I'm sure to be posting other things I'd like to get feedback on and those will be unplugged. Thanks for watching and commenting

Ken

rapsidy

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 am

Ken- just wanted to say that was a cool video, you seem to know what your doing only more experience players could pick out any areas of improvement and thats not me so it sounded great .. look forward to more vids from you and the added vocal bits :)

Brad

Yamaha48

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 am

Hello Ken.

That sounds realy nice my friend.
The Yamaha guitar,thats a apx 500? .
I have a APX900,thin boddy.

Cheers Anton

skaladar

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Brad - Yes, I do enjoy singing this, and often do while practicing, but I feel I need to get the playing tighter until I can devote the attention to the vocals that this song deserves. Thanks for watching and commenting.

Anton - Indeed that is a Yamaha APX500. I've had it a few months and I'm pretty happy with it. Little setup was needed, very playable and decent sound. It also didn't break the bank :-) ... I does lack the full tone of my D'Angelico but that needs a neck reset and that's a major undertaking. It's funny when I first saw your user name, yamaha48, I wondered if you owned a yamaha guitar. Now I know. Thanks for watching and the kind words.

Ken

Yamaha48

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Helli Ken.

The name Yamaha48 comes from my guitar.
On my 48 birthday,i give it to my self pressent hahahha.
I startting to play guitar on the age of 47 years.
My first steelstring guitar,Ibanez the 8 serrie.
That whas a little info over my self my friend.

Cheers...... Anton

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic