MarkM learning Don't Let It Bring You Down guitar lesson

Craig

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Mark,
Nice job! When I first read double C I thought, wow that's really low...but it sounded great. Keep up the good work.
Craig

reiver

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Great job, Mark - your guitar sounded great in this tuning........and this is a tough song to sing! Great to see you tackling it and doing such a good job.

Stuart

MarkM

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks all.

Cori - Thank you!!! That was clever enough :laugh: :laugh: . I'm not very good but I can manage to strumm a few notes from time to time. Thankfully this wasn't too hard to sing and play. Although the voice needs some work.

Bob - Thanks!!! I'm sure you'll be able to do this song justice.

Ken - Thanks a bunch!!

Marc - Not holding back on this singing huh?? Well I did try and reach some of Neil's notes on an earlier take but chickened out on this one. Didn't want to scare anyone away.

Craig - Thanks!! Yup its pretty low. Neil Young now plays it even a full step down from this if you can believe that.

MarkM

MarkM

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:19 pm

reiver wrote:
Great job, Mark - your guitar sounded great in this tuning........and this is a tough song to sing! Great to see you tackling it and doing such a good job.

Stuart

Stuart Thanks alot!!! I'll have to work on the pitch a bit but surprisingly the phrasing was easier than I thought.

MarkM

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks

tovo

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Hey Mark always a treat to see your videos. Can I comment first on the setting? I really thought it was beautifully chosen, did you put effort into that or was it accidental? It worked really well and added considerably to the tune from my point of view. Second thing I would say is I just love watching your strumming. It works so well and you get such tone from your guitar. I think the evenness of your strumming pressure is what I notice and work hard to emulate. I'm not so familiar with this tune, but thought you sounded good on it.

Great work buddy!

millponddave

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Mark,

Nice job, I like the tuning. Now I want to try my hand learning this song.

Dave

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 pm

I was going to pm you to say I was watching your upload of Sugar Mountain the other day (I have it favourited!)
I know I'm not the only TG-er that watches and learns from your strumming.

This one is about to be faved as well!!

Also- is this the first video that you're singing live which strumming? Either way, great job doing both!

MarkM

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Thereshopeyet - Love the picture!! Thanks

Tony- As always I really appreciate your feedback and support. Thanks. As for the setting, well I'm in my home office (spare bedroom) and I don't have a bunch of room in there. I did change from the standard strait on view of me in front of the closet though. All I did was get a different chair and put in in the corner between the closet and window. I put the camera all the way down on the tripod so it kind of looks up a bit. Nothing more that that really. I wish I had a better place to record in. Love to have a man cave like you. As for the strumming I try and use palm muting where I can to change things up. On the second verse I dampened the strings and left the bass strings alone. I thought I heard Neil Young do a bit of that so I tried it. Thanks again.

Dave - Yeah this tuning gets a bit more growl and to be honest its a bit easier on the fingers with the medium guage strings. Easier on the voice as well. Thanks!!

Al - Ha! I was thinking of Sugar Mountain today as well. After I posted this song I tuned both the dropped C strings (1 and 6) back up to D so I was in a full drop from standard and started playing that song again. A goal of mine is to sing and play that song so I'll be working on it again. As for this song it is my second "live" singing. I did the Stones Dead Flowers last month as my first attempt at singing. Thanks for the kind words.

MarkM

rapsidy

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:08 am

Hi Mark

As usual your playing is really good I always watch to see what i can pick up on. I like how you have a go with the singing too, I think we share the same philosophy on that one ;) yes we may be hit and miss with pitches at times but it sure makes playing more fun and just adds to the whole experience, unless you are an awesome soloist :blink: like Yoda Neil :P .. I am also not familiar with this song, I am only a NY Hits listener :) but it is coming across OK

love your post, sorry nothing techy to give other than it sounds good

Brad

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic