MarkM learning Don't Let It Bring You Down guitar lesson

buddy

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:50 am

I hate it when I am late to the party.

Mark, I think this was your best post yet. You are playing so relaxed and letting that voice go as well.

Really enjoyed it,

Bud

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:44 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That sounded like fun Mark! Nice job! I like the monochrome.
If I understood you right you had the guitar tuned like in double dropped D but down a full step so double drop C. Correct?
DLIBYD 4WS Version = C G C F A C
DLIBYD Seattle Version = Bb F Bb Eb G Bb:

I think Mark is playing the 4WS tuning

Double drop D is DADGBD

Dropped C tuning is CGCFAD

I'm not sure exactly what you'd call the CGCFAC tuning its a bit of a bitsa lol

Anyways Mark that sounded real cool and well played. I love this song and played it on my intro to my guitar on the Guitar pages, I was copying a guy from YT and didn't have the advantage of Neil's lesson back then. I've since had to change a few wee things but its on my list to upload for review, don't know about the singing yet though.

Good on ya Mark you seem to get the Neil Young songs down pretty quick

michelew

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 am

Gremlins... I SWEAR I put a response up here and now it's disappeared, so I'm trying again....very strange. So if it turns up I'll come back and delete this one.

OK

Mark,

That was very cool.

I hadn't heard this song until recently. But, I thought you played it fabulously. You've really got it nailed. I love your work.

Kudos on the signing. This looks like a really difficult song to sing, a serious obstacle course for the voice. I reckon it takes an experienced singer to nail the vocals in this. But, you did just fine.

Great job.

Michele

willem

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:39 am

hI Mark,,when there are songs to enjoy then i'm not sorry to be late on the party,,if you nailed that in a copple of day's how good would it be after weeks,,

I did'nt bring me down,,just enjoyed a great NY cover,,,,,

jayswett

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 am

Your Neil Young repertoire is second to none at this point, and with the exception of Love is a Rose, this is my favorite. You nailed the harmonics at the end. I'm in Florida at the moment, but managed to bring my guitar. I'm going to work on this. I will make you proud next time we get together to play. Well done on this.

jayswett

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 am

Hi Mark,

Well I was kinda counting on you for nailing at least óne of the CSNY-songs wich were released last week, so great to see that you did!

I absolutely love this song as well and like you I prefer the tuning like this CGCFAC, wich is also the one he used on the 4 Way Street Album. And you just did very well on this, the song needs a steady strum and you pulled that off quite easily, well done Mark!

Ness

snipe

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:44 am

Mark, Sorry I missed this yesterday,

That was excellent! You played it well, and that guitar sounds really saawweeetttt!!
Im inspired to check out this lesson now. I thought your vocals are fitting to Neil young songs
Great Job!!

Mike

MarkM

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks All!!

Brad - Thank you. I just wish I had a voice like yours.

Bud - Thanks!! Same goes to you as I wish I had a voice like yours.

Chas - Thanks!! I too had loved this song for a long time and just never went out and learned it. Pretty easy with Neil teaching it. I can't wait to see/hear your version.

Michele - Thank you as well!!! I really enjoyed this song.

Willem - Thanks! I'll give it a rest for a few days and see if I can improve on the singing.

Jay - Thanks!! Enjoy the Floriday weather. I was supposed to be down there for a meeting this week but it got postponed. I'm sure you can pick this song up easily. Let me know when you want to work on some stuff.

Ness - Thank you!! Yeah that low tuning really gives it some warmth and a bit of a bite. I love these songs so much I hope Neil put up a few from CSN&Y songs in the coming weeks.

Mike - Thanks Mike. Absolutely check this lesson out. It's pretty strait forward and you'll do fine.

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Mark,

Seems these days we don't hear much of what used to be a common expression in the 70s: "depressing Neil Young songs".

Now they are simply total monuments to his inspiration, and are really uplifting, you've got a great mood going there, Mark.

But "Double drop C" ? Help ! How many hours are there in a day to try all these cool tunes ? :blink:

Great stuff

Pierre

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Mark,

Good work here. Double Drop C . . . . . hmmmmmmmmmm. Have played this in Double Drop D, but never thought of trying the Massey Hall version. Thanks for enlightening us. One good thing here is that it drops the vocals down a whole step. Whew!

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic