Neil Hogan Quicksand - Parts 1 and 2 by tvarga

snipe

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:55 am

Wow.. I wish I could finger pick like that. guess I better get busy!!!
That was excellent IMO!!
MIke

tvarga

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Thank you all for so many kind words. It really means a lot!

I'm still somewhat in disbelief how much I've improved (at least I think I have) over the last year. There's no way that I could've attempted this song when I first joined TG.

I hope this is motivation to all of you. There's no real secret to getting better. What I've learned is that playing the hard parts over and over again really does work. It takes me hundreds and hundreds of repetitions until my fingers begin to work on their own. As long as I have to 'think' about it, it doesn't work. It's a wonderful feeling when the muscle memory starts taking over.

One last thought... Pay real close attention to everything that Neil says. Some of his suggestions may not make sense, or may feel real unnatural (fingering, etc), but he's speaking from tons of experience and I've found that if I give in and do it 'his' way, things do work better. For example, it took me months to unlearn the way I've always played the A major chord and to switch to the way that Neil suggests in many of his lessons. Now that I have switched, it's helped in a lot of songs ... especially this one.

Keep at it everyone. It's worth it! :)

Unfortunately, my guitar is in the hospital for the next week and I'm already going through withdrawals. :(

-Tom

BobR

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Tom,

Terrific job on that. You have the fingerpicking down :woohoo: . It just flowed really nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic