>> Todays Target Student Video review by Neil - From The Beginning by Skaladar

TGMike

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:22 pm

TARGET Members Watch Neil's review here:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/video-rev ... iew_id=677

All member can watch the original upload here:

skaladar

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:52 am

Thanks so much Neil. I know you’ve done student reviews for this song a few times so I especially appreciate you taking the time to review my upload. God only knows where you find that time.

You’ve cleared up a number of points for me. I couldn’t quite understand why you opted for alternate picking for the arpeggios in this lesson when for another Greg Lake song using extended chords and arpeggios, Still You Turn Me On, (which I was working on at the same time) you showed it entirely cross picked. It’s clearer now that it is to maintain the alternating pattern from the preceding strumming section. I actually realized, after becoming fairly comfortable with cross picking, that it’s not the way you showed it. I've been working on alternate picking since.

I’m also now more aware of the abrupt stop and break in the rhythm in the strumming section. I suppose I was focusing too much on palm muting/muffling the bass note and then muting/killing the chord. I was palm muting the chord with my right hand when I should have been use the fingers on my left hand so my right hand could keep moving as shown in the lesson. The result being I’m not only breaking the flow but I’m not getting the percussive effect and background noise that should be there.

Well, I have plenty to work on. My practice routine is becoming quite full what with all the great new songs being introduced all the time. Bah, who needs sleep when there’s music.

Thanks again Neil

Ken

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic