Mississippi Blues by RicksPick

RicksPick

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:42 pm

LOL I have to admit to some artistic licence ( wrong notes :P )

I learnt a big lesson, learning to put all the pieces (bars) together
That is to keep going and not stop when I hit a wrong or dead note
That was part of the reason i never compleated a song/ tune/ dittie
cos I always hit one, and stopped. Very frustrating.
That is starting to change, because what I learnt on TG.

I would like to encourage more critical feed back, you peeps drive me along
I can only imagine how good this tune would sound done by er lets say...
Chris,er..Mark(any of them lol )..Suzi,..Michelle, er..Craig..Peaire.,
Its a long list :silly:

I would never be offended,Im just not that type.
Silly sometimes.. well alot then.

Dont forget things get lost in translation between brain and fingers
I only manage to type at best 50% of my intentions

RicksPick

willem

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:24 pm

tovo wrote:
willem wrote:
Hi RICK,,GREAT YOU GIVE US THE MARSHMELLOW BLEUS,,,I SET MY GOAL FOR THIS YEAR ON IT,,GREAT JOB,,DISSINENT NOTES?? WELL IT'S BLEUS..
Hey Willem. Mate only trying to give some useful feedback. I thought it was a great job by Rick, but if we all just say it's brilliant nobody learns a thing.

You'r absolute right Tony,,,i tryed to be a bit funny.....

MarkM

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Rick,

I don't think I can help you out much because I loved every single second of this. It's still very much winter here in NH as the wind is howling outside and its about 30 degrees F. This song that you just did gave me such a visual of sitting on the porch with my dog on a hot summer day with a few ice cold beverages playing this on my guitar. Problem is I can't play this song. I guess I'll have to learn it now. Very good job Rick. The only thing I'll add is, and I'm sure your working on it, is just pick up the tempo a tiny bit. Obviously you're just learning this so the tempo will get better with each and every take. Other than that, boy was that sweet.

MarkM

jayswett

Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Great video. You nailed the bluesy sound. I'll be taking a look at that lesson. Nice job, and thanks for the inspiration.

AcousticAl

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Just caught this, Rick- Nice work!
Clean and steady.

Nice sounding & looking gee-tar, too!

Thanks for uploading.

RicksPick

Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks Mark, wow very descriptive,glad you liked it, kept it steady for uploading less mistakes that way lol
I do up the tempo when playing to myself.

RicksPick

RicksPick

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks Jay, hope you have as much enjoyment as I did, won't take you as long though

Al thanks, love the sound picked, dont mention strummed, shh !
LoL

RicksPick

Hydroman52

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Rick,

Very nice! Good solid playing. If there were mistakes, I didn’t notice. The good parts distracted me from any errors. I could imagine Leon Redbone singing along with this one.

If you are interested, here is what I would do with it if it were my song at this point.

1. Keep on it. This is a tasty tune, and you are looking like you are on the verge of really breaking through on it.
2. If you do #1 above, you will naturally be able to speed it up a little. I think it needs the tempo upped a bit, but it looks like you probably already have that under control from your comments.
3. Experiment with adding and reducing the volume in different parts to enhance expression. I would exaggerate it even beyond what you think is right. Take a part down to a whisper and follow it with as much volume as you can muster. If there are lyrics, let the lyrics determine what expression you add (sad part = softer; angry part = louder; etc). And that segues into #4 . . . . . . .
4. Are there lyrics? Add them, even if you have to mumble them (remember Leon Redbone). As a friend always points out, adding vocals adds another instrument.
5. This may sound weird, but try playing it with your eyes closed. You have this one down pretty good, and I’d bet you don’t even have to look at what you are doing most of the time to get it right. Your eyes are glued to the fretboard and picking hand (or is that just camera nerves?). This is a very simple test I use to figure out what part of the song I need to work on the most. If I can’t play it with my eyes closed, more work at that spot. There will probably be parts that you will always need to see to make sure you get them right, like a long slide up the neck to make sure you land at the correct fret, but, besides long moves like that, you should be able to “imagine” your way through the fingering changes. To be honest, I’d be willing to bet that if you put on a blindfold, you’d probably get 85% - 90% of this tune right (once you were able to find your guitar!).

Don’t mean to seem like there is a lot to improve on, because there really isn’t. If we were in a jam session together and you played this one, I’d be happy to try to play along and have your method rub off on me (a nice way of saying I’d steal your technique). You’ve got a good one!

Thanks for sharing,

Hydroman52

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Rick,

I'm sorry to be so late to the party, especially because I can't add that more to it than what others already said......

However I think you've done a great job and I enjoyed it very much!

Like others have said, keep at it, speed it up a bit, try to varie in volume and so on, however, you're so véry well on your way, good job!

Thanks for sharing, it was great watching you play! :cheer:

Cheers

Ness

RicksPick

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Hydro and Ness thanks for the advice, it's all on the to do list, well had a go at the volume bit today, To concentrate for recording I have to look at it or I lose track, But when just messing with it playing any section out of order or repetitive I dont look at all, mad Hey? :side:
Ive also not moved on to another song yet, as i want to put more into this one.

So thanks to all for the praise and advice/help

Rick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic