Webtvdan - Doxology

willem

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:33 am

Dan,,nicely,,can you tell how your setup is these day's,,,it sounded so beautiful...or how you adjust it..

BobR

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Dan,

That was really well done. Your finger picking is excellent.

THanks for sharing

Bob

Chasplaya

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:38 pm

tovo wrote:
Dan I am a huge admirer of your great finger picking skills and I really enjoyed this. Very clean and crisp notes.

As an aside, I was very strongly reminded of the NZ National Anthem.
Tony a Doxology is a short Hymn of praise and therefore its not surprising this sounds like the NZ Anthem, the words were written by a Poet, Thomas Bracken and the music by a church organist, James Woods. There are many old Hymns that sound like this.

Nicely played Dan, if you have a tab I wouldn't mind a copy please.

webtvdan

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks guys.

The constructive suggestions given about 4 months ago regarding my finger picking solo “Let It Be” (i.e. allow bass notes to ring longer prior to changing melody notes – coincidentally also in drop D tuning) influenced my fingering of this arrangement. “Let it Be” also sounds better now.

Started teaching youngsters basic guitar last September. One of the fathers questioned when his son would start jamming with him – specifically mentioned scales and improvising. Told the father about the time his son begins Bar Chords he would also learn scales.

Figure that gives me about 6 months to relearn and practice scales. I’m really rusty. Neil demonstrates the patterns in his “Fundamentals” series. Without a “backing track” not something that can really be posted here. (Maybe Neil / Target could create backing tracks for us to post our progress?)

I’m having fun with the flat pick – but prefer my fingers.

Willem~

Finally found strings I like- Martin Acoustic FX Phosphor Bronze. Don’t last nearly as long as Elixir Nanoweb but prefer the sound. The third string is the first to deaden in about three weeks. There is a small Crate Acoustic amplifier on the floor behind me – providing a small amount of reverb. The guitar is a Taylor 614CE.

Dan

webtvdan

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 pm

How would I send you a Tab?

michelew

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:49 am

That was lovely Dan.

Thanks

Have fun with the flat picking.

Michele

rapsidy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:25 pm

your 3 years of focusing on finger picking solos has paid off as that to me was faultless, im sure the gurus will find something for you to work on though :)

yes I did enjoy it

I hope you arent away too long and look forward to a flat picking tune from you soon

Brad

enjoy those scales :blink:

AcousticAl

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Just saw this, Dan.

As others have said- very relaxing and enjoyable.

At least you're re-learning scales..
I still have to learn them the first time!

And I, too prefer fingers to picks! (is that so bad?)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic