Neil Young don;t let it bring you down-meloday by pbraun

sws626

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:42 am

Hi Pete,

I enjoyed this a lot. The Loner was the real highlight of the performance for me. Everything just came together so nicely on that one. Your singing on Cinnamon Girl was also excellent -- as I think Marc mentioned, it will be easier to get the timing right on the riff in this song with ups & downs rather than all down strokes. Great performance all around and nice to hear these DDD songs all played together.

-Stuart

pbraun

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:53 am

I didn't realize how bad I butchered the word melody! Sorry about that!

Chris- It is a maple Alvarez, it is the first guitar I bought, my other is a Takamine, koa with a cedar top. Both are pretty bright sounding. I would like to get one with a deeper sound yet, but it will need to wait.

Vanessa- Thanks, glad I could make you smile. Your videos really inspire me to practice more!

Marc - Still a lot to do with Cinnamon Girl. Thanks for the kind words on my progress.

Mark- Honestly I worked on Don't Let It Bring you Down a little longer, and I am still having problems forming some of the chords. The Loner seems to come a bit easier for me. I only worked on Cinnamon Girl for 1 day so plenty of work there! I watched yours from a while ago several times to help me out, I like your connecting riffs or playing, I need that to blend these together, NY seems to have several different ways to do it.

Bob- Thanks, I have always liked these as well. When I was a teen I had goten in to CSNY, I met a girl who said, listen to Neil Young, I did and never looked back, been a fan ever since!

Chas- The metronome is sitting right there, I guess I should turn it on! I have always had a problem playing with one, it always feels like more of a distraction to me. Maybe I need to find the lesson on playing along with it. I know it should help

Jay-Thanks, I feel like I've progressed

Willem- Thanks, think I'll stay in the dropped tuning awhile, first to get better at these, then to learn more songs. I hope Neil will review too, in a lot of things I think I know what to do. I try to record myself either in audio or video to see what I am doing wrong, I didn't do that before posting this as it was difficult to get all 3 done decently at 1 time, so I took it and ran with it!

Stuart- A lot more work I know, I am determined to nail these three!

Pete

buddy

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 am

Howdy Pete, I missed this somehow and wanted to let you know how cool it is that you put this in a mix like you did. Your guitar looks great and sounds great. I have always liked those flame maple back and sides and they give off such a nice bright sound.

Bud

pbraun

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks Buddy,
I am really trying to nail Cinnamon Girl. I have been working in the yard the last few days and it keeps playing in my head. I have watched your post on CG to pick up some pointers as well, such a great song, too good to pass up getting it right!
Thanks
Pete

Craig

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:42 am

Nice job Pete! I really enjoyed that. Nice job singing too, which is still a big hurdle for me! Keep up the good work!
Craig

pbraun

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks Craig, never thought I'd be able to play any of those. Still plenty to do with them but it's a start. I can't get Cinnamon Girl out of my head yet so I'll be on that one for a while!
Pete

AcousticAl

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:01 am

Wow Pete- quite the undertaking! Don't know if I could get through 3 songs in one go and not totally have the wheels fall off.

Great job on these tunes-- and an excellent argument as to why a person needs SEVERAL guitars for different tunings! :)

pbraun

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:05 am

Al thanks, it did/does get long trying to play 3 songs. By the time I got to CG I was thinking don't screw too bad or you'll be doing it again. I did 3 takes and settled for the one that I thought was best. Think I'll stick to one at a time for future post!
Pete

tovo

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Hey Pete. Took me a few days to post a comment on your video as I was in a pretty remote country with very, very poor internet. When I saw 8 minutes on your video I thought, "this one is for when I get home"!

Anyway, man I think you deserve a lot of praise on this, you have obviously spent a lot of time on learning this epic and then you go and throw in another couple tunes for good measure! I noticed that your right wrist is extremely relaxed and fluid, that really helped your strumming and is a big improvement. I for one was pretty impressed. You were playing heaps of barres, harmonics, BIG changes up and down the neck....man what a great effort! Oh and kudos for stepping up to sing as well. Big improvement is evident Pete. Good stuff mate.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Hi Pete,

Man, you look like you are having a great time !

You've made great progress both musically and vocally.

Seeing this is REALLY motivating to me, please continue to surprise us :)

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic