buddy learning to play ANTS MARCHING acoustic guitar

MarkM

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:17 am

Buddy,

First off, congrats on working on such a tough song. Secondly your vocals have never been better. You've stepped way out of the norm from your other great songs. Although this song is still new to you and your learning the nuances of the playing, I think your timing was really good from what I could tell. No slowdowns or speedups if you know what I mean. The only suggestion would be to lighten up on the pick a bit when the strumming parts come in. Easier said than done I'm sure as you are coming out of those sections of the power chords. From past expierence of watching your videos I'm sure you'll get there very quickly. I agree with Tony that if you pull this off in two weeks at open mic night you'll bring the house down. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

buddy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

Marc,

Thanks Marc, Those muted strings really add so much to this song.

buddy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:05 am

Pete, Thanks, I am trying to learn as many style of guitar as I can to improve my playing. I admit it drives me crazy sometimes trying different things so I am glad you enjoyed this.

Bud

buddy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 am

Bob, I wish I could sit down with Dave and play. He has become one of my favorite artists because he has adapted his songs to play solo. Watching his live performances shows me what a musical genius he is.

buddy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:09 am

MarkM, Great suggestion on the lightening the picking on the strumming. I went back to the original track and you are spot on with this suggestion.

Thanks a bunch,

Bud

beaker

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Buddy, Nice work on a challenging song! I think you are being very ambitious to play and sing this at an open mic in 2 weeks!!! But.... onward and upward. Good on ya. I play this song as well, I notice a few things about your guitar sections although it was hard for me to see what your left hand was doing, so from what I can tell..... Are you playing F# in the bass on the D chord? Are you adding a D on the 2nd string when you play the G? Dave Matthews always does on this song, and he uses these chord forms a lot in general. You have the riff down that follows the D but, the riff that follows the G is not the same, it has a slide in it. The third chord in the walk down on the 6th string is from G to F# to Em Chord. the whole time holding a B with your pinky on the 3rd string, 4th fret. Are you doing that? that was one of the parts I could not really see very well. Then later in the song, during what may be called the bridge, Dave Matthews plays a regular Am. I could not tell the chord you were using, but it may well have been a form of Am that I am not familiar with. I learned this song from a tab that I found online, it is quite accurate, and I would suggest that you check it out. Also, there are a bunch of video's on You Tube showing Dave Matthews playing this acoustically, you can see quite clearly what he is up to, those might help you as well. They sure helped me. I know this is a lot of info, I hope it helps you out a bit. I would love to see Neil give you a video review of this one, we can only cross our fingers. Good luck with it buddy, I admire your ambition and like someone else said, your diverse song selections. Keep on Rockin' man. Beaker.

buddy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Beaker, thanks for taking the time give such specific input and tips. I will try to incorporate some of this into the next take.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic