buddy learning to play ANTS MARCHING acoustic guitar

buddy

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I took a tip from Vanessa and wanted to work on an upbeat and funky song so i chose Ants Marching by Dave Mathews. This is a very rough version that I could really use some constructive feedback on as I hope to perform it at an open mic in two weeks. It has some rough edges on it and if I could get some input on guitar work, especially the bridge it would be much appreciated. I could also use some specific input on the phrasing of the vocals, do they fit or do they need to be changed ? As you can see, I recorded the vocals on a separate track until I can put the guitar and singing together. The toughest part of this song is holding that constant rhythm on the little challenging riff with the ghost strums in it.

I tried to give a good camera angle on the left hand but the neck snuck up on me a little.

Thanks TG friends and critics,

Bud

jayswett

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:12 pm

You sound very similar to Dave Mathews with regard to your vocals. Well done. The guitar portion sounds and looks a bit tricky.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Sound like it's shaping up well Buddy. How the heck you manage to sing that so wll and play it at the same time is beyond me... looks really challenging on the guitar playing side. I'd be terrified to do that at an open mic! :-)

tovo

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:19 pm

I think it's pretty funky Budster. I dig it the most. I agree with Chris...I think the big challenge for open mic will be getting it all together in terms of playing and singing, it looks very challenging. Still, there is no doubt that it will bring the house down if you pull it off...and I reckon you will.

buddy

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Jay, Yep this guitar is a tough piece of work for me. I have never tried something like this type of song before and have found it to be really fun.

buddy

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Chris, Thanks my friend. I am still working out the bugs of singing it and playing it at the same time.

buddy

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Tony, Welcome home !!!! This funky style is a real kick in the pants but it is also kicking my pants while I am learning it. :-)

Lavallee

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 am

Very nice work Buddy, those muted strumming are creating the good rhythm.

I like it a lot

Marc

pbraun

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:58 am

Sounding good Buddy, you have such a wide selection of songs, you can really mix them up almost a great hits album by everybody!
Pete

BobR

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Buddy,

That sounded really nice and looked rather difficult. I think you did this song very well and I am sure it will be ready for your open mic. At first when the vocal started I thought it was Dave.

Keep up the good work.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic