tovo learning Streets of London guitar lesson

tovo

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:58 am

Hey thanks Bear. I would like to say that I value your input SO much and I doubt very much that I am alone. I can't tell you how much help it is to have your considered input. As much as I value ALL input, I really covet yours.

Yeah I hear what you are saying here. I felt reasonably comfortable as I have put in the work, but I understand I have a long way to go to get to the stage you are describing, that point where you really don't need to think about the playing and can concentrate on performance. I haven't gotten there yet that's for sure!

From here, I would like to take it to the next level, incorporating more of the melodic aspects that Neil has in the lesson. I will say unashamedly that I hope for a review of this, as I'm sure there is a lot of ammo for Neil and being a Target tune others can no doubt benefit.

By the way my friend....The River is my favourite tune, Born in the USA isn't! ;)

Thanks mate.

BigBear

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:32 am

tovo wrote:
By the way my friend....The River is my favourite tune, Born in the USA isn't! ;)

Thanks mate.

Oops! Born in the USA is your favorite album right? :cheer:

tovo

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 am

BigBear wrote:
tovo wrote:

Thanks mate.

Oops! Born in the USA is your favorite album right? :cheer:
lol. One of them yes!

Hydroman52

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Hey Tony,

Just watched this one and then watched one of your older uploads of another song, and the improvements in your playing skills are quite noticeable. So you are doing much better across the board and not just song specific. That’s the direction you really want to be going. I'm guessing that everything is becoming much easier at this point than it was a few months ago.

This song is kind of special to me in that I “accidentally” came across it many years ago and had worked it out on guitar as best I could without any music. Nobody in the circles that I hung around knew the song nor did they have any interest in it. There was no music and just a phantom recording on my reel-to-reel from some background music that had been playing. Many years went by before I heard it again on a folk music program on our public radio network. This was quite a while after I had lost my copy of the song and my notes on how to play it. But it was sort of resurrected for me. At least I knew that the song really existed and I wasn’t crazy. So when I joined this site and Neil actually put up a lesson on it, I was absolutely floored. Now I get to hear others play it, finally.

Good job, and thanks for posting.

Hydroman52

tovo

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Hey Hydro,

Thanks for sharing that background with us. I couldn't say when I first heard this song but I remember thinking it was very powerful in its message. As Mark in the UK said, just as relevant now as it was 40 years ago unfortunately. It doesn't appear to be a tune that made a huge impact in the US but I guess there are just so many artists and it's easy for great music to kinda slip through the cracks and be essentially missed by a lot of radio stations. I for one never cease to be amazed at the number of great tunes that come up here at TG that I was not previously familiar with.

Thanks very much for the comment on my improvement. I do feel I am progressing. When I found TG I had been playing only a short time so I guess I didn't get chance to form a heap of bad habits before Neil came into my consciousness and that had been a great thing. As you say, forward is the direction I imagine we all want to be heading!

Much appreciated mate.

coomba

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm

G'day Tony
I must have missed this one.
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. I really like this tune and I keep telling myself that I should learn it, you just reminded me to get onto it, your progress is inspirational .
cheers mate
well done
Scott

tovo

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey Scott, always good to see that alcoholic kangaroo mate!

Nice tune isn't it? It's one that takes a bit of effort but I think it's a satisfying tune to play. I have a way to go, but that's cool.

Appreciate your kind remarks Scott.

mcfingers

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey Tony, I have been working on this song myself and I certainly know the challenge of maintaining your singing while picking the song. The thing I noticed most with your version was that even when you faltered a little with the words your picking never lost a beat. That, is not easy to do and you deserve a lot of credit. The more you play this song smoother it will become and pretty soon you won't even have to think about playing and singing it will all become one.

Well done, I enjoyed your performance

Steve

tovo

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Thanks Steve, looking forward to your version which I'm sure will be a cracker.

That's a nice compliment thank you. Yep, I'm sure the key is to play the thing a few more thousand times! Pity we all have to work for a living eh!

Cheers mate.

sws626

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi Tony,

I listened to this a couple of times when you first put it up; didn't have a chance to respond, but enjoyed it immensely. I'm sure I must have heard this song, but I can't say when or where. Nevertheless, you made it sound both familiar and fresh, which I think is a great accomplishment.

Bear has already made some good suggestions on getting the picking and singing to live together. Personally, I think the variations on the Travis patterns are the backbone of the song and it would be a shame to simplify them. So I'd vote for just playing it a few thousand more times until they're second nature.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic