Grateful Dead Ripple (Intro) by cosmicmechanic

cosmicmechanic

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi all,

It's a real privilege to get such encouragement and great advice.

Reminds me of someone who sang about throwing out a message in a bottle and ...

"... walked out this morning
can't believe what I saw
hundred million bottles
washed up on the shore"

Sound familiar?

About the G. Klimt image on the wall: Yes, here at the asylum they tell me that art appreciation is good therapy .
But seriously folks, I did used to paint some ... surrealists and impressionists were my faves for a good while.

I was just hoping that including a pretty picture would make up for a less than pretty performance.

By the way, I understand my recording setup needs improvement, will look into it soon, thanks for your indulgence.

====
About the responses without tech comments, your encouragement really perks up my attitude :

tony, craig, chris, pete, bob, dave, jay, michele, willem, al

thanks for the en-COURAGE-ment!

====
And the designated techies for this tune:

marc, cori, canessa, buddy, markm, suzi, dennis, beaker.

Yes, point taken: TIMING ! That should be one of my resolutions.
Timing is as important as hand position, picking patterns, etc. Just less sexy, but it has to be mastered.

I'll definitely try all you have suggested, thanks.

=====
a subset of the techies, the admitted "Ripple" refugees: suzi, beaker

suzi:
I get the feeling that, like me, you took this (level 3) tune on lightly, as a short term project.
Kind of like when Michelangelo was asked by the Pope if he could spruce up a certain ceiling.
I do agree with you that the initial "frustration" is greatly worth the effort because a lot of other songs
come more easily after getting these moves down and also acquiring the persistence needed to practice.
I'll put you on the list for a "morceau de gâteau" hopefully in the near future, merci !

beaker:
Your approach may be what Neil means when he says "play it like you can't before you play it like you can". The meaning being that "play it like you can't" is using the predefined tab that leads to a certain technical improvement, but that some compromise must be made to get it to work in the real world, where you gotta "play it like you can". I appreciate hearing from someone who has applied it to this tune, thanks!
Just a detail: Yes, I do play the 1st fret 2nd string leading to the D chord (I should get a mike)

A lot to think about, friends.

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic