Grateful Dead Ripple (Intro) by cosmicmechanic

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi all,

I've been scratching away at the Ripple intro for 6 months now, and this is the result. I ain't kidding myself ... nothing to brag about, but fun :)

This video is just over one minute of repeating the intro, until I fumble it and run away screaming ...

So, how to get past playing the tab by rote and get it flowing ? I'm hoping for a "eureka!" moment, 'cause it sure is taking some time.

Any comments are welcome, of course ... please !

tovo

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:03 pm

That was pretty cool Pierre. Sound is a bit low but sounds...well.....cosmic! Very nice.

Craig

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Pierre,
Nice work! I don't know the song well enough to offer any suggestions, so I'll leave that to the other members. However, it sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing.
Craig
P.S. If you discover a method for "eureka moments", please let me in on the secret! :laugh:

Lavallee

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 am

Salut Pierre, good work on the Ripple, you have the spirit of the song. I see that you are using alternate picking and you keep your hand moving. You only need to work on the picked notes (I know, easier said then done). Right now you are trying to keep the beat and picked the notes, but the beat is faster than the notes are being picked so the picked notes are not coming as clear as they should. I would suggest to slow down the whole thing until the picked notes come out nice and clear and then increase speed again. . You could also keep the same speed but add a new note slowly until all the picked notes are clear.

This is great to see a new video from you

Marc

lueders

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:51 am

Pierre, thank for the post on this. I love this song and it is one of those deceptive tunes. Sounds like it would be a snap to get those melody notes in there. But it is quite a bit tougher than one would think to make this thing flow with both the strums and the picking together. (Besides, emulating two guitars is no easy business...regardless of style.Heck, You gotta think Jerry only played the strait picked melody...and how good was he? ) I think you're getting closer to "eureka" than you think you are. Sounds like Marc, gave some pretty good advice earlier on this. Thanks for posting your hard work...

Cori

EDIT: Geez some Art teacher I am? I'm kicking myself not noticing the Gustav Klimt...first time around. Very Nice there Pierre! Good eye: Chris & Ness!

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:17 am

Nice work Pierre. On a Takamine too. I also don't know this piece but Marc's advice sounds er, sound to to me. Great to see you on video again. Looks like you had Gustav Klimt in to do the decoration in your living room ;-).

Lavallee

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:32 am

Hi Pierre,

Yep really great to see you again! (and yep love the Klimt-picture as well! ;) )

I don't know the song, so I just watched Neil's play through. One thing that I'd like to point out is the timing, you start off with the right strum (wich is swingstrum, countrystrum? :dry:) but after a couple of measures you kinda change it (a little bit of the folkstrum), yep that's when all the picking out the notes start, so I can imagine that it's not really easy, however later you pick up the right strum again. So just pay a bit more attention to that and like Marc said, getting those picked notes more cleanly and you got it down!

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed seeing you play again!

Cheers

Ness

pbraun

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:08 am

Pierre
That was good to hear, I had never thought of trying that song, maybe someday, it really sounds like a fun one to learn!
Good job
Pete

buddy

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:15 am

Pierre, Love the picture in the background. You sure picked a tough one to work on so kudos to you. One thing that really helps me on a song like this is to create a loop of the original and play along with it about 1,000 times. This helps me because I don't think about the technical parts of the song when I am playing along with a track and I get lost in the rhythm and it really starts to click in my head. You have a great start on this so I would love to see it when you have it nailed down. Keep on working at it as I know how frustrating a piece like this can get and don't let it get you down.

Bud

BobR

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:22 am

Pierre,

Nice job. It seemed a bit fast but overall I liked what you're doing.

Thanks for posting

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic