Grateful Dead Ripple (Intro) by cosmicmechanic

MarkM

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:27 am

Pierre,

Great to see another video from you. It's been too long. You've got some really good advice so far. Apart from slowing it down a bit I would add to just strum the chords to the beat/tempo of the song a bit to get the feel. However you can do some focus strumming.Meaning hit the bass notes/low E and A strings only on the first beat of the G chord and then go with the 1-4 strings for the rest of the measure. Continue this with all of the other chords as this will get the feel of the song down a bit. After getting used to this then you can add some of the embellishments of the melody. Great song you've got here and this would be a good one for a few guitars............in May perhaps...............

MarkM

suziko

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:16 am

Pierre,

LIke you, I have been working on this song on and off for months. For such a low-level song (level 2? 3?) it's a lot harder than it seems it has any right to be. As Marc recommended, I think your best bet is to slow it WAY down. Take it measure by measure and really make sure you're hitting those single notes cleanly. And work more on keeping your timing even throughout the song. If you play it really slowly, you should be able to keep a steady timing throughout, even with hitting the notes. I don't know if you own Guitar Pro, but it helped me immensely on this song. You can loop bits of it, even just one measure if you want, slowed WAY down, and then play along. It'll help you to get the timing exactly right.

I can't begin to express how much frustration this song has caused me. However, I think the technique that you learn in this song is great and can be transferred to other flatpicking songs. So I know that the effort was worth it. And once you get through the intro, the rest of the song is un morceau de gateau to play :)

Good luck!

SUzi

jayswett

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:46 am

I wouldn't lament the fact that you've been learning this piece for six months. I've been tyring learn Never Going Back again for nearly two years and still can't play it!Like you, though, and many others, I'll keep at it until I've conquered it. You very nearly have this one. Keep up the good work.

dennisg

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Pierre,

Well, you don't post often, but when you do, it's very, very interesting. I don't know the song, but it looks like an extremely challenging piece, so good for you for at least getting it as far as you've taken it.

I had a very tough time hearing it because of the recording level, and even though I watched the video twice, I know I missed a lot of the subtleties in the song. I'm not sure if you're using the built-in mic in your camera, but you'd (we'd) benefit greatly from the addition of an external mic.

Two things I'd recommend: 1) I tried tapping my foot along with your playing, but had a tough time because the tempo shifts. That got me thinking that you might consider using a metronome to keep things steady. That could also help with recommendation number ... 2) slow it way down. Right now a lot of the notes are being lopped off because you're in a hurry to get to the next one. Slow it down, let the note ring, and when you get comfortable with that tempo, goose it up a bit.

Still, though, it sounds like a very sweet song, and I'd love to hear future versions to see where you've taken it.

millponddave

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Pierre, I've been working on ripple for a long time. In fact searching for the tab was what led me to TG. I still don't have the nerve to post my efforts so my hat is off to you.

Dave

Lavallee

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Hahaha, now that is funny indeed Cori! :P :laugh:

lueders wrote:
EDIT: Geez some Art teacher I am? I'm kicking myself not noticing the Gustav Klimt...first time around. Very Nice there Pierre! Good eye: Chris & Ness!

beaker

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Pierre,
First off, great to see the man behind the name... Cosmicmechanic. I may have missed it but I don't think I have seen a vid from you before. Ripple is a deceptively tricky song. I struggled with it for a long time as well. I was sooo frustrated! So I can definitely relate. But I do have a tip or 2. I may be a sinner for giving this kind of advice, but...... I got so frustrated by trying to learn all of the details that Neil was talking about..... I kind of, .....well, I took the most important things from Neil's lesson, I figured out what the key melody notes were, then.... I kind of threw out neil's details and I let it flow my way (or should I say the way I heard Jerry play it .... combined with my way) and I found I could play the song. That was my eureka moment! I have a couple of specific's for you as well, When you go the the C chord, you play the 3 finger C a bit, then you allow your 2nd finger to bounce around and hit the melody notes on the 3rd & 4th strings ( but you leave your 1st and 3rd fingers planted as per the C chord) .... there are a bunch of open strings (notes) involved as well. Also, there is a key melody note on the 1st fret 2nd string leading to the D chord. I could not tell, are you hitting it? Maybe you are and it was tough to see/hear. Anyway, you are going well, this will happen for you, your eureka moment is just around the bend. Good luck, happy strumming, I look forward to seeing an update sometime! Also I hope Neil can do a review for you! I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Beaker.

michelew

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Pierre,

Good to see you posting again. I haven't tried this piece but it looks challenging. I'm sure it will start feeling better for you once you've started incorporating all the great advice here.

Who knew there were so man Klimt lovers here. He's definitely one of my favourites.

Too cool.

Keep them coming.

Michele

willem

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 am

Hi PIERRE,,,nice room,,looks so comfort,,i started with this words ''cos i don't know the song really and the recording volume was a bit off but i can see and hear a bit that you are on the road with it,,so wish you very much fun in practising furter after some good advice is giving to you....

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:51 am

I haven't tried this song- but there's some great advice above from people who have.

Keep at it, Pierre.. and good to see you again!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic