mark On the horizon guitar lesson review upload

dtaylor

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Wow Mark, as always nothing but a pleasure to hear you play, what an amazing piece to have in your repertoire. I'd echo Chas's comments about the dynamics, altering the attack, playing softer, slower, faster, pausing, building the tension, I think these are the things to concentrate on. I'd say you were a week or two of obsessional playing away from where you could incorporate all these things.

I know Neil has mentioned before about loosening your right hand, advice I too have been given, if you were to focus on just that, I think the rest would come naturally once you have the mechanics on lock-down. I think we'd all love to see how things progress with this one.

Dean

BobR

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Mark,

All I can say is I thought that was outstanding! Watching and of course listening to this was awesome.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

willem

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:28 am

Mark,i like this instrumental even more then CG,,its the titlle were you can dream away(on the horizon)with,,when i read Chas his comment i thought he has some good pointers and hope Neil gives you his pointers too..

I think this instrumental has to age for you and maybe Taylor's coment on the right hand is a good one too..

I did really enjoy your playing this tune,,very good..

I am courius,,i know you love fingerpickin instrumental songs,,but ,,do you play other then that??? just courius!!!!

mark

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:49 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well that's actually very interesting and I'm curious indeed what Neil would say about that.

I do know what you mean, I'm having a bit of the same problem with Classical Gas, I wíll stumble at one point, could be this part, could be another. It's just nót easy to play it áll the way through without tripping at some point. Not sure what to do with that either... :(

Well hopefully our TG-Master has something usefull to add wich he usually does! ;)

mark wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
May I ask, what has specifically not improven according to you? What is not getting any better? With what do you want Neil to help you out?

Ness
Well this is the problem really. There isn't a specific bit.
I find the song difficult pretty much from the first note to the last note.
The left hand fingering is challenging through out the song, and so it can go wrong at any point.

Every time I play it, it will go wrong at a different point in the song.
There are a few specific points that might trip me up and so I can practice those individually but usually I will play the song all the way through in the hope that it will get easier.
yes that is exactly it.
I could play it a 100 times and it would be different every time.
I had exactly the same problem with classical gas as well. I think it's because they are so long.

It will be interesting to see what Neil says but I suspect that the only real answer is to be better at playing the guitar.

mark

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:04 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I had to go and listen to Neil's play through to try and see/hear what you are getting at, the only major thing is maybe the dynamics I hear Neil play at times separating the various parts, I'm guessing they are like place keepers so you know where you are and what's coming next. Also Neil's play through ebbs and falls in keeping with the mood I guess. Those things come with more playing I believe.
Yes I would agree, more dynamics required.
Normally I would try and play this with more slowing down in parts but I got very nervous playing this and all thoughts of dynamics went out of the window.
In general I'm trying to work on dynamics. Sometimes the dynamics I use I think are too subtle and not not dynamic enough.

mark

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:12 am

dtaylor wrote:
Wow Mark, as always nothing but a pleasure to hear you play, what an amazing piece to have in your repertoire. I'd echo Chas's comments about the dynamics, altering the attack, playing softer, slower, faster, pausing, building the tension, I think these are the things to concentrate on. I'd say you were a week or two of obsessional playing away from where you could incorporate all these things.

I know Neil has mentioned before about loosening your right hand, advice I too have been given, if you were to focus on just that, I think the rest would come naturally once you have the mechanics on lock-down. I think we'd all love to see how things progress with this one.

Dean
Hi Dean
Thanks very much for your reply. One thing I have noticed is that if I really concentrate on making music and making it sound good I stop worrying about the mistakes being made. I think you are on to something there - too much concentrating on not making mistakes and not enough on making music.

mark

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:17 am

willem wrote:
I am courius,,i know you love fingerpickin instrumental songs,,but ,,do you play other then that??? just courius!!!!
Hi Willem,
I play mainly fingerstyle but play some things with a pick.
The problem I have is that I don't sing and so strumming chords becomes boring quite quickly.

I've uploaded a couple of things played witha pick here - Hey Jude and Hotel california

skaladar

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:50 am

Wow Mark … really nice job on a tough piece. I admit I had to go check the lesson because I’m afraid I’m not familiar with a lot of Neil’s original work and I couldn’t imagine why I didn’t recognize what you were playing so beautifully. Not only is the fingerpicking complicated but, as you point out, the left hand fingering is challenging. I think you did great on both not to mention timing and overall sound. Your hard work on this is apparent. Thanks so much sharing.

♫ Ken ♫

beaker

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:02 am

Mark, that was really great! Sounds very good to me. A beautiful relaxing song. Beaker.

Lavallee

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:04 am

Hi Mark, it think it is very well played. You have a very soft touch giving a lot of finesse in your playing. If anything you might want to vary the intensity a little more.

Fantastic playing

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic