mark On the horizon guitar lesson review upload

mark

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:46 am

I been trying to play this song ever since Neil did the lesson about 6 months ago.
Hasn't really got any better for the last couple of months, so submitting it here in the hope that Neil can help me out

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

lueders

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Darn, mark wish I was in your league so I could comment on this great performance!!!I do know this though...You have a tremendous command of the art of finger-picking. You have a flawless, textbook technique! Don't know what to offer other than awe and a few more lines of gushing...

Also, whoever composed this song is no slouch either. I really like this composer's work. lol!
Wouldn't it be cool if you and Tvarga got together played some Neil Hogan duets?
And, while I 'm dreamin... maybe you guys could talk Neil into playing a third guitar with you. lol!

Thanks for the inspiration... Cori

Craig

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 pm

Mark,
Your finger picking is awesome on a beautiful piece. I'm jealous of your long, straight fingers, mine are stubby and crooked! I was interested to read that you felt you weren't making progress after a few months, it's reassuring to know that it happens to good players like yourself and that it's not just me! Please keep posting, your videos inspire me to keep working!
Craig

suziko

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Wow Mark, so great to see you tackle such a high-level song, and you did more than great playing it!

May I ask, what has specifically not improven according to you? What is not getting any better? With what do you want Neil to help you out?

Ness

dennisg

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Beautiful, Mark. Great job.

mark

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:19 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
May I ask, what has specifically not improven according to you? What is not getting any better? With what do you want Neil to help you out?

Ness
Well this is the problem really. There isn't a specific bit.
I find the song difficult pretty much from the first note to the last note.
The left hand fingering is challenging through out the song, and so it can go wrong at any point.

Every time I play it, it will go wrong at a different point in the song.
There are a few specific points that might trip me up and so I can practice those individually but usually I will play the song all the way through in the hope that it will get easier.

michelew

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Mark,

That was really beautiful. It doesn't look like you're having difficulty with it at all.

Let's see what sort of magic Neil can do.

Michele

tovo

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:07 pm

I have always made a big deal of desperately wanting critical feedback, but there is plenty of potential in that area for me as I have so much to learn. For you Mark, not so much opportunity. I really can't offer anything other than support. You're a great player and I gain so much from watching you, so all I can say is thanks.

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Well that's actually very interesting and I'm curious indeed what Neil would say about that.

I do know what you mean, I'm having a bit of the same problem with Classical Gas, I wíll stumble at one point, could be this part, could be another. It's just nót easy to play it áll the way through without tripping at some point. Not sure what to do with that either... :(

Well hopefully our TG-Master has something usefull to add wich he usually does! ;)

mark wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

Ness
Well this is the problem really. There isn't a specific bit.
I find the song difficult pretty much from the first note to the last note.
The left hand fingering is challenging through out the song, and so it can go wrong at any point.

Every time I play it, it will go wrong at a different point in the song.
There are a few specific points that might trip me up and so I can practice those individually but usually I will play the song all the way through in the hope that it will get easier.

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Absolutely fabulous Mark well done.

I had to go and listen to Neil's play through to try and see/hear what you are getting at, the only major thing is maybe the dynamics I hear Neil play at times separating the various parts, I'm guessing they are like place keepers so you know where you are and what's coming next. Also Neil's play through ebbs and falls in keeping with the mood I guess. Those things come with more playing I believe.

I also think its one of those the more you play it the better you get committing more and more to muscle memory (you're way ahead of me in that regard, I can't remember tunes that long without the music in front of me). I think we can learn from watching your left hand position always looks just right to me.

Really enjoyable , and pizza points to you for taking this on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic