Rev. Gary Davis Candyman by beaker

beaker

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Hello TG'ers. I know this video is a little rough around the edges, but that is the point of the video review's isn't it? I have left lot's of room for Neil and the membership to give me some pointers. I took quite a while just to get this one, I was having trouble playing through it cleanly, and then after a while I got 3 or 4 rounds that were reasonable so I just went with it. I hope you like it. I had a lot of fun learning it and I recommend this lesson. Keep on Strumming everyone. Thanks for watching. Beaker.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Nice job Beaker... long time no see. Were you playing some notes with your left hand too?
The video had a news reel quality to it but the sound came through pretty good.
Nice to see you posting.

beaker

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Chris, Yeah, I used my imovie program to give the video an old time look because it is an old song. But yes, there are a bunch of hammer on's and pull off's in the song, I apologize if you can't see my left hand stuff well enough. I have to admit my sound and video recording set up is sorely lacking! Beaker.

jayswett

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Nicely done, Beaker. That does look like alot of fun. Looks challenging with all of those pulloffs and hammer ons. I will follow your advice and check out that lesson.

buddy

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Beaker, I don't know the song so I can't give any suggestions but wanted to let you know that it sounds like you have made a lot of progress on it and keep up the good work.

Bud

dennisg

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Beaker,

I've always really liked Rev. Gary Davis since I was a teenager and used to sing "If I had my way" with my brother. But, oddly, I'm mostly unfamiliar with his other stuff, so I'm very happy to see your video.

That really looks like a challenging piece that you've taken really far. Your picking looks smooth and confident, and the song sounds great. It seemed to speed up in certain parts, so you might consider using a metronome to even out the tempo. All in all, though, a really solid effort that doesn't have very far to go.

Lavallee

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi Beaker, that sounds like a fun song to play. Good alternating bass as well. It sounds a bit like freight train Since we cannot see your right hand completely, I was wondering if you are using your ring finger (if you are using 2 or 3 fingers plus the thumb).?

Marc

beaker

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks for your comments (Jay, Buddy, Dennis), they are very encouraging, and I really appreciate it. Dennis, yeah, you are right, I will put in some valuable metronome time on this one. I am sure that will help a lot. I don't know if anyone else finds this, but during tricky sections sometimes once your fingers learn where to go it just seems easy to let them run with it, but ..... the metronome will reign me in. Marc, in the lesson, Neil says that you could use standard right rand position, but he also mentions how Rev Gary Davis just used Thumb, index & middle, .... no ring finger. So that is what I went with, sorry the video does not show my techniques very well. Thanks again for your comments. Beaker.

BobR

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Beaker,

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed it and look forward to you posting it again when you get your "rough edges" smoothed out.

Thanks for the look.

Bob

MarkM

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Beaker,

I can't say that I know the song that well. However I really liked the vibe of this song the way you played it. I know your still working some things out on this but you have the bare bones down. The way you play this adds so much character to the song. I'm sure the metronome will help but don't let it take away from some of the looseness that you deliver. Just my opinion. Very cool song. This is something that I'd like to take my fingerpicking to the next level as I can't do this stuff yet. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing you progress with this.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic