pearl jam just breathe part 2 by rapsidy

jayswett

Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Nice job, Brad. I think this represents continued, solid progress, about which you should be encouraged. It's been a while since I've tried making some progress on this myself. You've inspired me to spend more time on it. It's a great song to be sure.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Brad, only been at it 3 months ? Very promising "start" (heh heh) ...

Good voice too ... keep at it. You've got what it takes !

Pierre

BobR

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:19 am

Brad,

I wouldn't get discouraged, because I think you're doing very well. Keep at it and you'll have it the way you want.

Bob

webtvdan

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Brad,

Listened to your attempt from three months ago – and you’ve substantially improved.

How is your guitars action? Are the strings light enough?
Should not be painful to play the guitar.

I practice at a ridiculously slow tempo when learning a new song / technique - until I can play transitions smoothly. Gradually increasing the speed.

I’m currently working on Flat Picking (improvise & scales) and amazed at how uncoordinated I am with a pick.

I’m practicing simple tunes at a turtles pace until both hands are in unison.

Try slowing it down until the problem transitions are smooth.

You can sing the song – many accomplished guitarists can’t carry a tune!

rapsidy

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:02 am

I was feeling a bit disappointed with the progress, but after reading your fab comments I feel a lot better, so many thanks

Tony- thanks, can you be a bit more specific about the phrasing part i have many interpretations going on in my head lol but not sure which one to pick, appreciate your help so dont hold back i want to improve.

Michelle- thanks, you just want to nail it for the camera and probably play above abilities, i will definately slow it down

rick- your words picked me up thanks mate

willem good advice i will try that but i have no idea how to count beats while finger picking lol

nesh lol you should have seen me before i put the clothes on i only did because i thought of your last comments he he , but summer is just starting to wind down now. Thank you so much for your wonderful encouragement it means heaps :)

beaker- thanks it means a lot from people who can play awesome to say things like that , it is real motivating

Marc- thanks respect your words and advice

Dean- man look forward to seeing your attempt, thanks for the transitions tips will incorporate them

Jay- really would love to see you do this song as your awesome picker, thanks for the encouragement

pierre- wow thanks mate means a lot

bob- thanks bob im not disappointed now after all the great support here

Dan- thanks, really appreciate your advice thanks for all your help and what you say makes so much sense i just need to learn patience in practice rather than feel i need to play it full speed soon, but patience is hard, i want results lol.. will definately slow down

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Brad, sorry I'm late to the party. Great job on your progress here as all have pointed out. I think you're at that stage where you are just one step away from being able to nail it in relaxed easy-going way. You'll blink and suddenly its all there and flowing... and you never look back. Had this many times. The silver stripe on the horizon before a glorious dawn. ;-).

AcousticAl

Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 am

Brad,

I echo what Dan wrote about your setup and strings. Has your Yamaha ever been in to the shop? New strings and getting the action lowered can help a lot.

Re. your playing- I think you've improved HUGE since your first upload of this. But leave it for a while and work on something else- then come back to it.

Try 'Dust in the Wind'. Very similar pattern.

sws626

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi Brad,
I'd meant to post a comment when I first saw this last week. You've made really good progress. I've also been trying to come to grips with this song off and on for a couple of months and you should definitely not be discouraged with the progress you've made so far. It is an exhausting song to play all the way through. I actually find the timing of this one a bit easier to establish while singing -- or at least humming -- along than when not, so no need to apologize on that count. I know you know you're not there yet, but the good news is that you can work on this for a long time and it will always get better and always improve skills that are readily transferred to hundreds of other songs. So, I say stick with it as part of your regular practice routine, even if you feel you need to move on to other songs while this one ripens.
-Stuart

BigBear

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Brad- I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan but you are coming along nicely with that tune. I'm sure you know this already but singing a song that you are learning at least quadruples the challenge. For me anyway, on a fingerstyle or fingerpicking song I have to have it down pat before I will even consider trying to sing. If I don't follow my own rule, too many things can go wrong at once. I just wonder if you are making it overly hard on yourself. Especially because you are so close on the guitar side of the song?

Anyway, you are doing great and I can't wait for the final version. Well done!

:cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic