pearl jam just breathe part 2 by rapsidy

rapsidy

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am

Well this is part 2 of just breathe, i originally posted about 3 mths ago, so this is 3 mths of practice . The reason for the pained look on my face is that my fingers were killing after so many attempts to get it "right" the video, in the end i had to settle for this effort..

You would think after 3 months i would have nailed it by now but its that talent v hardwork debate.. im on the hard work side.. :angry:

I blew the second part of the intro so ignore that i just couldnt be bothered trying to do another one as i would just make a mistake somewhere else.

And before anyone says it i practice all the time without singing it,, believe me i just thinks it would be too boring on its own...

should i be dissappointed with the progress as i have put hours and hours into this song .. ??

I seem to get fatigued by the end of the song as well lol (fingers)

also how do you make a smooth transition from chords while finger picking as in strumming you move on the up of the 4 and... change ???

well it was a goal to be able to play and sing this song so i have sort of achieved it , not to the standard i want but hey :unsure: :)

tovo

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:31 am

Hey Brad. You should certainly not be disappointed. You should be proud of the fact that you don't hang back waiting for the 'perfect' take...whatever that is.

I think you have the main riff down pretty good. Nice and clean most of the time. I think you are struggling most with the phrasing of the lyrics. Perhaps listen to the man himself sing it while you play along and get the feel for it all.

it's a fast moving feast this tune. Stick with it and it will continue to improve.

Good work mate.

michelew

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:43 am

Brad,

This sounds like a completely different song to the last version you posted. You've got the timing and finger picking pattern sounding right now. And you've almost nailed it. Your hard work is obvious. Great job.

I think you just need to slow it down a tad, especially while you're recording.

I find I always need to slow it down when I'm in front of the camera - I think it's because part of my brain is off freakin' out somewhere, completely distracted. And I always find myself playing it too fast, faster than I normally would because I'm nervous.

It's coming together really well, just do yourself a favour and slow it down. That way you'll be able to play sing and be nervous all at once. B) :)

GOod job.

M.

RicksPick

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:47 am

Dont be discouraged Brad its coming along
Almost there I would say
Some tunes take a long time to mature
It is sounding good!

RicksPick

willem

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:47 am

rapsidy wrote:
also how do you make a smooth transition from chords while finger picking as in strumming you move on the up of the 4 and... change ???quote]

Hi Brad i think i hear you on that,,i had the same thought while practicing ''landslide'' then i was thinkin on the ''i'll have to say i love you in a song'' lesson(Jim Croce),,Neil said there something like,,''ignore the last beat a bit'',,hope this helps,,, i think it helped me...

dennisg

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:58 am

Way to go Brad!! (no naked shoulders anymore? Is summer ending? :P )

And you've come a long way, that's for sure, so I agree, you should be proud of the progress you've made!

And I know why this song takes a while, you just picked a nót so easy song, so yeah then it really takes time and hard work. Then again when you got it down completely you'll never worry about another travispicking song anymore! ;)

Thanks a lot for showing us your progress again, just great to watch!

Cheers

Ness

btw your voice is really great for this song! :cheer:

beaker

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:11 am

Rapsidy, From my perspective you have done very well with this. I think you are pretty hard on yourself. Things are happening for you. You have learned some very valuable skills with what you have achieved here. I say keep plugging away, learn some other songs too but keep this one going and watch it still improve. The skills you have learn on this one will pay dividends on your future songs. Nice one! Beaker.

Lavallee

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:16 am

HI Brad, fantastic improvement, your right hand is quite fluid and your left hand is almost there. A bit more work and those transitions will happen naturally once you will not think about them. As others have said this is a great song for your voice.

Marc

dtaylor

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:27 am

Hey Brad, nice work, great progress from your last post, the pattern is spot on now.

I've been working on this for about a week solidly having 'learnt' it when it was released but never tried to sing it. I can sympathise with you on the sore fingers, I had to put the guitar away as the pain was too much and I was getting too annoyed!! :angry:

On the transitions- I found going to the A you've got the first beat to get there because it's played on the open strings so don't rush into it. From the A to the F I keep my middle finger planted, that helps a bit, like with the Dm and G in the bridge with your pinky.

I think trying to play up to speed too soon is holding me back, I haven't had to work so hard on a song for a long time, so don't be down on yourself, it really is that difficult to play up to speed, respect to Eddie Vedder.

Keep up the good work and post again soon.

Dean

dtaylor

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 am

Hey Brad, nice work, great progress from your last post, the pattern is spot on now.

I've been working on this for about a week solidly having 'learnt' it when it was released but never tried to sing it. I can sympathise with you on the sore fingers, I had to put the guitar away as the pain was too much and I was getting too annoyed!! :angry:

On the transitions- I found going to the A you've got the first beat to get there because it's played on the open strings so don't rush into it. From the A to the F I keep my middle finger planted, that helps a bit, like with the Dm and G in the bridge with your pinky.

I think trying to play up to speed too soon is holding me back, I haven't had to work so hard on a song for a long time, so don't be down on yourself, it really is that difficult to play up to speed, respect to Eddie Vedder.

Keep up the good work and post again soon.

Dean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic