The Ventures Walk Don't Run by Craig

Craig

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks Rick!
Your comments always mean a lot to me. I have been trying to play more challenging stuff lately, which is good...to a point!
I really like your suggestion on playing phrases rather than notes. I haven't really thought of it that way. I think it will help smooth things out. I also appreciate your comment on posting "honest stuff". I don't do 48 takes until I get one good one. If you come over to my house and say, Can you play "Walk Don't Run"...that's what you would get. Of course it would sound much better after a few beers!
Thanks again,
Craig

BigBear

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:46 am

Craig wrote:
Thanks Rick!
Your comments always mean a lot to me. I have been trying to play more challenging stuff lately, which is good...to a point!
I really like your suggestion on playing phrases rather than notes. I haven't really thought of it that way. I think it will help smooth things out. I also appreciate your comment on posting "honest stuff". I don't do 48 takes until I get one good one. If you come over to my house and say, Can you play "Walk Don't Run"...that's what you would get. Of course it would sound much better after a few beers!
Thanks again,
Craig

Craig- I may come to San Diego to take you up on that!! I'm pretty excited, Jerry Miller (Songman52) is here in Portland tomorrow and we're going to jam together all day! I can't wait. Jerry really challenges me plus he's about the nicest guy you could ever meet! Maybe we'll do another video?

willem

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:15 am

H i Craig,,you look diffrent but great,,,,great idea what you were doing with this tune,i don't know it but it feels like ''apache'',,i hope you get a review so we get all something out of it and maybe he let us know haw to tied up some prhases,,i must say what you were playing sounded nice,,nice sounding guitar,,thanks

dtaylor

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:25 am

Nice sounds Craig,

this seems like one of those tunes that when someone asks 'Do you play...' and you rip into this, you put a big grin of admiration on their face. :)

Sure there'll be good advice in the review, I can't offer any myself but would sure like to see your progress with it.

Dean

Yamaha48

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:39 am

Hello my friend Graig.

Yeh from the good old day s.
I can remember the tune,when i listening to the Radio piret stations in the Netherland .
I think a lot of work to lern this tune,and you do a good thing with it.
Thanks for sharing this with us my friend.
Im lookin forwards for a upload.

Cheers.......................Anton

Lavallee

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Craig, this sounds really nice. Pretty soon it will become an easy song. One thing I noticed is when you pick the notes you move more your fingers than your wrist. This cause for your hand , when you are hitting a down stroke on a quarter note, to wait for the next down. Also when the phrase starts by an up, your hand is also waiting. This makes it challenging to keep the beat fluid (mind you , I thought you did very well). The wrist, during picking when it is moving all the time,with the beat allow you come in on the phrase with the ups or down needed . So when you move your wrist all the time you get constant ups and downs thus having you ready to do alternate picking. When you hit a quarter note you hand goes down , you are now ready to move up on a missed beat to hit the next one but it is done in time.

I have been working on this aspect of the game for many months now.I tried for a long time to do something with the intro of long cool woman with a black dress or mother goose and even the little riff in Tangerine where I could never be fast enough. After a review from Neil on Over the hills and far away I finally understood the importance of controlling alternate picking. I was also watching some videos from Snipe (Mike ) who is very good with alternate picking and noticed how fluid his picking was at high speed.

Walk don' t run is an excellent song to practice alternate picking as Neil mentions in the lesson. I also like very much what Rick suggested about playing the phrase. You could take one phrase and beat it to death with alternate picking and moving your wrist because with the phrase you have a beginning and an end. An example of a phrase would be the last note of measure 4 and the complete measures 5 and 6 which you can play over and over. Starting with an up (on the forth measure) which mean that your hand starts with an empty down stroke to hit the up stroke to start the phrase. It actually sets the beat at the same time. The last note of the phrase in the 6th measure is a down stroke on a quarter note which means (to continue with the loop), to come back empty, go down again empty and then the up stroke on the 4ht measure first note of the phrase. Do it at 20 bps and when there is no hesitation do it faster. Once you will have that under control the rest of the song will seem so much easier.

Sorry for the long comment, but I am excited that, after putting a lot of practice (many months) on this aspect, I am starting to see the benefits ( increase picking speed,greater picking accuracy , improved fluidity of songs)

Marc

dekotaj

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 am

Hey Craig,

Looked like a real fun song to learn when Neil put it up.I look forward to giving it a go some day.Sounds great!
Bravo!!To you sir,Bravo!!

Kevin

dennisg

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:35 am

Boy, just hearing that takes me back to my days growing up in Los Angeles, where so much surf music originated. Oddly, The Ventures were based in Seattle, where surfing is about as unusual as sun tans.

You're off to a flying start with this one, Craig. Keep at it and you'll have this one down soon.

Craig

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:24 am

Willem,
Thanks for watching and the kind words. I've been on a two week vacation, maybe that accounts for the different look? Thanks again,
Craig

Dean,
I appreciate your comment. It's one of those songs that I've always wanted to learn so I feel a small sense of accomplishment (although I still have a ways to go with it)...thanks,
Craig

Anton,
Thanks for the kind words my TG friend! Maybe I need some birds singing in the background? :laugh:
Craig

Marc,
Thanks for the great advice. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some constructive suggestions. I think you are absolutely right on my hand movement (or lack of!)...it will definately help me with my timing issues.
Thanks again,
Craig

Kevin,
Thanks Kevin, it is a fun song to play...I've always loved the sound of it. Give it a go!
Craig

Dennis,
Thank you my friend. I grew up here in San Diego so there have always been a lot of local "surf music" bands playing in ther bars. Dick Dale still plays here at least a few times a year. I think it's a fun sound. Thanks for the positive feedback. It goes a long way in the confidence department.
Craig

snipe

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:05 am

Craig,
Looks like you have a ton of good advice. I dont have anything to add, except Id like to see you get out the Strat when you got it down pat and just rip it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You aint too far away.
Cheers
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic